Rear Admiral
Re: Matrial for bunks

Re: Matrial for bunks

Thanks!

What about carpet?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Material for bunks

home depot and lowes have a runner carpet 24" wide they cut by the foot. i split it down the middle and got 2 12" pieces worked perfect..

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Just replaced mine , I agree with above posts. I took a piece of the old carpet and made a close enough match. I measured exactly what I needed to fold around bunks and they cut my pieces for me.worked greatd:)

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Not to double post but at the ramp last week I saw a trailer with recycled plastic (Lumber) bunks.

They were 12' long or so, had what looked like factory angled tops (no visable saw marks) and looked a little larger than stock lumber. I'd say 2.5X8.

No rot, no carpet and with SS hardware no rust. Wish I knew where I could get me some.....

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

I eneded up using cedar 2x4's triple coated with Thompsons, the I cut an old runner for the carpet, used liquid nail on all sides as well as 3/8 staples on the sides only.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I used PT 4 x 4 and put the glide sticks on top. Screw holes are recessed so no gouging. I angeled the top before installation with an electric planer. It all worked out well.

MRS

Commander

On the carpet I found out the regular bunk carpet that is sold for the bunks works way better than just an in door out door carpet. My boat comes off the trailer way smoother than it did with other carpets and it is not that expensive.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Those glyde stick things are fairly expensive. The affordable alternative is to get cutting boards and rip them to width.