Engine Replacement

markrolf

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I have a 25ft Larson running a Volvo A431 (4.3V6 Carb) engine which is having some issues we can't seem to sort. Anyway, we've decided to treat her to a new motor and have come across an EFI 4.3V6 and a MPI 4.3V6 Mercruiser which are within budget. Both are stated as coming with full wiring loom.

My question is, coming from a carb setup, is there anything special I would need to do to install these? I'm guessing there would be an ECU box, like in the car?

Also, I have a 290 DuoProp drive, and the new one would be a Alpha/Bravo drive. This may sound stupid, but would the hole that is through the boat presently for the 290 be the same size for the new drive?

Many thanks,

Mark

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine Replacement

I would NEVER consider trading Down from a Volvo DP to a Mercruiser. Not only is the hole too big for the Merc transom shields, you would never be happy with a single prop Mercruiser after running the Volvo DP.
If you want to buy the Merc, buy it. Sell the new drive, transom shield, flywheel cover, coupler manifolds, etc. Then put on new Volvo manifolds, flywheel cover, flex plate and stick with the 290 drive. You would come out well ahead of the game money wise.