1961 Anchor boat with leaking hull...please help

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hello All,

I lifted the front of my boat after it had been sitting for a couple of days to raise it onto the Wood block I had for it and I instantly heard a whooshing sound coming from inside the hull.

My boat is fully carpeted so water doesn't make a sound when it drains from the floor. The whooshing sound was water swooshing back and forth underneath the hull. Now I need nelp on how to extract the water and then reseal the boat. My transom is not squishy and has no flex to it so it is in okay shape.

Saskatoon2005

Re: 1961 Anchor boat with leaking hull...please help

Yes, I have the drain plug out...but the drain plug does not go into the lower part of the hull underneath the flooring, so the water is trapped...any ideas?

studlymandingo

Commander

That's strange. I have deck drains that are right at the water-line, but every boat I've owned has a bilge drain at the lowest point of the transom. Look for maybe a 1/2" brass plug down there; if you don't have one, you certainly need one. You can buy the whole thru-hull assembly if need be.

studlymandingo

Commander

Can you post a picture of the transom of your boat?

Saskatoon2005

Yes I will post a.s.a.p....just putting the kids down right now...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

some of the older boats had an area at the transom drain, like a recessed box. where the bilge could drain and it was costumary to put rubber stoppers in the holes to keep water out.

Saskatoon2005

Here is the pic of the rear of the transom...

P1020274.jpg

Saskatoon2005

ooops wrong pic....try this one....LOL!!!

P1020388.jpg

studlymandingo

Commander

I see your problem; that isn't a boat at all, it's a table with two starter solenoids on it!!!

Just kidding, the tube coming out of the transom, is that where the water was coming out? Where are your drain plugs located? I would say that tube definitely needs to be blocked while underway.

Most of the time the bilge drain is located in the center of the transom, about the height of that tube coming out. I would suggest a through-hull be installed dead center there. You have to have a way to get the water out of the bilge. Is there a bilge pump under the deck?

Saskatoon2005

No bilge pump...water seems to be trapped in the front of the hull and is not moving to the back of the boat....seems wierd I know but I can't get it out of there....LOL!

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Apparrently no allowance was made in your boat for draining the hull much like my old Fiberform. Without knowing the underfloor structure of your boat its impossible to tell you the best way to drain it. Might be possible just to drill a hole in the front of the bilge down low to drain the water. Would do so off center in case there is a keel stringer. Might just have to cut a few holes in the floor to see what's under there. I installed round inspection plates in my Fiberform for just that purpose.

Looks like that bilge drain tube was replaced at some time and whoever did it did not have a flaring tool to finish it off properly. Bilge drain is not always centered in the transom. Depends on the design of the bilge. Neither of my two boats has a centered drain.