1979 Evinrude 140 rebuild ?

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi again everyone!! I'm not sure if you remember me, but I posted some time ago about dropping a cylinder in my 1979 Evinrude 140. Since my last visit, I have acquired the correct service manual, the funding, and the time to begin my project !!! But before I begin, I wanted to ask you guys about the quallity of parts I needed to purchase before hand. Right now, I have my eye on this kit, which I have located on e-bay:

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...hZ002QQitemZ4526001905QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V [/url]

In your honest opinion, will this suffice, or should I look elsewhere for better quallity parts? Also, besides the parts mentioned in the adds listing, is there anything else you guys would recommend me purchasing prior to getting this project off the ground? Thanks a bunch.........................ALAN

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1979 Evinrude 140 rebuild ?

It all depends on what you need. You might just need one piston, three sets of rings, and a gasket set. I'd also consider getting carb gasket sets and float valves. And definately rebuild the water pump.

Some think that oversized pistons are heavier requireing replacement of all. Nope. They weigh the same. You can go oversize on just one and still be in balance. Just have the other three cylinders honed and put in new rings. I like staying with the original manufacturer's pistons unless all are replaced.

Find a shop that bores to spec. You'll need to provide the standard bore size from your service manual and how oversized the piston is. Shops that bore to fit (by measuring the piston) always seem to make the fit too tight.

I should also warn that the cylinders are all probably worn to the point that they wouldn't pass inspection. You'll have to make that decision when it comes. But boring all 4 gets prtetty pricey. Then again, so does doing it all over again.