80 hp merc thunderbolt 4 cylinder no tell tale

iaincwil

Seaman Apprentice
how difficult is it to service the water pump myself??
am well naffed off after paying $400 for a service and it comes back with no tell tale! they say it was working with the ear muff's on!!

if I split the bottom half to do the job is there anything that could complicate it! like gear change etc
thank's
mick

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: 80 hp merc thunderbolt 4 cylinder no tell tale

I don't know about about servicing the water pubp, but you can run a peice of weedeater line through pee hole just to be sure there is noting in there. I do that from the engine out.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mick, Those telltales clog real easy. Run it on the ear muffs and if water comes out the grating above and behind the prop, the water pump is working. Shove a wire up the telltale to clear it out. If no water, you will need to drop the lower unit. The water pump impeller is under the plastic case around the driveshaft. I recommend a manual, since it has some trickiness to it.d:)

PuckHog

Seaman

Be careful, though. Running the motor on muffs can get water to go through the system under hose pressure even though the impeller is not working right.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

weedeater string works real well to clear them.

iaincwil

Seaman Apprentice

Chris1956 said:
Mick, Those telltales clog real easy. Run it on the ear muffs and if water comes out the grating above and behind the prop, the water pump is working. Shove a wire up the telltale to clear it out. If no water, you will need to drop the lower unit. The water pump impeller is under the plastic case around the driveshaft. I recommend a manual, since it has some trickiness to it.d:)

iaincwil

Seaman Apprentice

thank's you guys, I will try it with the ear muffs but I said that it would show tell tale under hose pressure so will have a poke about again with some strimmer string,
will let you know if it comes right

mick