How far to move wheels?

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If one needs to increase their tongue weight, how do you know how far to move the wheel carriage back? Any rules of thumb? Is it a trial and error situation? The current tongue weight on my trailer is about 200 lbs. I need to increase this to about 250. The boat is as far forward on the trailer as it can go.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How far to move wheels?

Any chance of putting gear up front to make the bow heavier while you tow?

Casco Bay Outrage

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To answer your question, it is trial and error. IMO.

Consider adding a spare tire (with hub) and bracket to the tongue. Good equipment to have and would solve your problem.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my trailer is predrilled at 6" intervals. moving 6" i would have to move my boat back a little to get the balance.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

I had my axles moved 6" forward to lessen the tongue's weight. But then this proved to be too much a little. So I instead have a spare tire to solve the problem. Without this spare tire, the bow would bounce too much while towing thus causing the rear of my car to bounce also. In your case, move the axle to the rear and 6" is a good start. If you can jack up both sides of the trailer to where you intend to move the axle, you can measure the new tongue weight even before moving the axle.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

I had my axles moved 6" forward to lessen the tongue's weight. But then this proved to be too much a little. So I instead have a spare tire to solve the problem. Without this spare tire, the bow would bounce too much while towing thus causing the rear of my car to bounce also. In your case, move the axle to the rear and 6" is a good start. If you can jack up both sides of the trailer to where you intend to move the axle, you can measure the new tongue weight even before moving the axle.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I moved the wheels back 4". All is good.

Thanks