1973 M, 140 hp, starts, then dies - fuel starved?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
when was the last time the crabs have been done? sounds like it is burn ing the fuel in the bowl, and stopping. floats stuck. pumping forces gas into bowls, then not refilling. could be air leak fuel pump. you could disconnect hose from fuel pump to carb and see if you are getting goood flow. when you turn it over.

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: 1973 M, 140 hp, starts, then dies - fuel starved?

Ummm, never run it at VERY HIGHT REVS for more than 1/2 a second in neutral unless you wish it to blow up. Yes it's vaccuum, have someone pump the ball softly and see if it cures the issue. Much safer than disconnecting hoses and spraying gas everywhere. <sigh>

Past that, see my timing and sync post.

-W

Laddies

Banned

Clams is the I/6 man, safety first, fires are no fun

tashasdaddy

if you are running on a built in tank, get a remote tank and try it. you may have a restriction from the tank to the engine. to start the engine use a spray or squeeze bottle with premixed gas in it. i think it's time for a manual and a carb rebuild. sorry.

Why a carb rebuild? Doesn't it sound like the carbs are not getting fuel so maybe the pump is bad? I think he said the flow seemed sporadic when he cranked the engine with the hose from the pump to the carbs disconnected. I too have this problem. just put the boat in for the first time this year. runs fine then sounds fuel starved, pump the bulb and it picks right back up. I have not checked to see how the fuel is flowing by disconnection the hose but will do that today. Any one know how much fuel should be pumping out of the pump while cranking?

gungalunge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it sounds like to me a mechanical failure check a broken mechanical part ... those things that move solid parts inside the engine .

gungalunge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was there thinking this motor i got was good.I took it apart. Then i seen why it did not run .." i played on good faith" . When you see what the inside is doing the moving stuff no carb overhouL will fix that. just letting you know . :devil:

Clams Canino

Commander

It's a vacuum system up to the pumps, then the pumps push it to the carbs. Assuming your lines are working, I'd clean the carbs and then find and follow my timing and sync post here. Betweeen them , it outta do it.

-W

Clams Canino

Commander

By the way... has it ever run right since you owned it? If so... what changed? It just sat??

-W

ksemt132

Recruit

I believe the culprit is...bad gasoline. I get to use this beast about 3 days each summer, then it sits in a garage all winter. Sta-bil in the tanks, but I believe it still the villian. I pulled the carbs, and the "primary fuel strainers" (my terms) were CAKED with a white material, almost like sand. I cleaned these, replaced the floats (1 had 1/4" fuel inside of it) and replaced all gaskets involved. After reassembly, IT STARTED!!!
Now, after working with the idle set screws, a smooth idle, but 1400 rpm!! There are set screws with locknuts in front of the dist. cap, but my Clymer manual doesn't specify which is used to set low idle. book says 550-650. just a little scared to start just trying things.

ksemt132

Recruit

Clams -
How do I find your timing/sync post? I read it earlier, but now I can't find it. Give me a roadmap. please.

tashasdaddy

click boating forum at the top of this page, then click engine faq, then preventive maintainance take more time and use it more. have you considered using remote tank, seeing it gets such little use. periodic starting and running of muffs would also help. i start my 71 1350 atleast every 2 weeks, and run it for 20 - 30 minutes.