9.5 johnson idling problem

bri-guy

Recruit
I have a 1964 9.5 johnson that does not idle properly! It was given to me and the work I have done on it so far has been: Rebuild the bottom end, Replace the ignition wires and spark plugs.
After I got spark, I was able to start the motor up, but as soon as I lowered the rpm, the motor dies. It works like a charm full open, but as soon as I slower down, it sputters and dies.
I took the carburator apart and cleaned it all up, everything was surprising clean and put it back together with a new kit.
Tried it again and it does the same thing. Any Ideas of what the problem could be??

fireman57

Captain
Re: 9.5 johnson idling problem

There has to be a link n sync procedure for this engine. You can go to the library and get an aftermarket manual that will be generically correct for you engine. It might be as simple as a carb adjustment but I am not real familiar with you engine. If you have a know on the front of your engine that says low speed or richer/leaner you can adjust this to where it idles smoothly and then pull it off and put it straight up at 12 oclock so you know where you started at. There are diagrams at ishopmarine and brpevindrude that might help.