Problems w/2002 tracking correctly

abc-sol

Recruit
HELP, I can't figure out why my 1995 2002 Bayliner Trohpy with a '95 Black Max 150 won't track straight. If I am traveling approx. 10mph and:| take my hand of the steering wheel the boat will veer to the starboard side. I cannot take my hand of the wheel at 20mph or higher because the boat will flip. That is how bad the tracking is.
The skeg is straight, the hull is not painted and has no damage. The zink seems to be in good condition. The height the engine rests above the outboard transom is the same on both sides of the engine and the boat sits level in the water.
I believe the engine is centered on the transom.
Any suggestions or has anyone run into this issue?:|

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Problems w/2002 tracking correctly

How do you have it trimmed when running? Bow down too much and you'll bow steer and can pull in either direction. Do you have trim tabs? Is one stuck in the down position? That will cause a pull to one side also.

abc-sol

Recruit

mole2 said:
How do you have it trimmed when running? Bow down too much and you'll bow steer and can pull in either direction. Do you have trim tabs? Is one stuck in the down position? That will cause a pull to one side also.

abc-sol

Recruit

Thanks for the reply, Richie. I don't have trim tabs. I have owned 4 boats now and 3 of them have been Bayliners. So, I tried playing with the trim and it does not make difference. I can't take my hand off the steering wheel or the boat will veer hard right (and this is at 10-15 MPH). I have to physically hold the steering on a straight course when cruising at about 22mpg or the boat would veer to the starboard and flip. Really!
The only thing I can figure it that the owner before me had the motor removed and it was not remounted correctly. Thouhts??

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

abc-sol, you have a little skeg, or should have right above the prop. This is what will control the steering.
It has one bolt that you can loosen up to turn it one way or the other.
Look and see if it's there and if not, get you one.

sonicbath

Cadet

Hi abc,

As SBN says, there is a torque-tab/anode just above your prop that you adjust for just such a situation. I just replaced mine and with a very subtle adjustment it does wonders.

Here's a link to some info on the web. Your service manual will have the procedure as well.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/manual9-17/operations.html#trimTab

If this doesn't work I would tend to believe there may be other issues at play.

Hope this helps.