Dead Pulse Pack? Have a look...

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
I've been looking into a cheap solution for a dead pulse pack on my 72 Evinrude and I think I found it, but only in part. I bought a Ford control module at the local farm and barn for $15.95. I'm using an old 12v motorcycle coil for testing. I found that if the trigger wires are crossed, it sparks. Unfortunately this doesn't help my situation because mine has a sensor and I've been unable to find a compatable sensor to do the job. But... older models use Maker points. This system might just work on one of those.

It would mean isolating the points base from the block so that there is no ground path. If I'm not mistaken, that would mean disconnecting the ground wire from it and machining the center of the points base to allow for a plastic bushing. Then connect one trigger wire to the base and one to the points. Or somehow isolate the points from the base.

The Wells part number is F102 and I paid $15.95 for it at Fleet Farm. The Control Module's red wire is unused. The CM white wire goes to an OutBoard purple (key-on +) terminal on the OB terminal strip. The CM orange and purple wires would go to the points and base. The black with green stripe to ground. The green wire CM goes to the - side of a 12v coil and you'd have to run a wire from the + side to a purple OB terminal.

I'll keep on experimenting I see the points lobes on my crank are covered with a reluctor that I assume can be removed. Then I'd just need a points base with points from an older triple or V-4. If anyone tries it and succeeds, let us know. Keep in mind that this is totally experimental at this point and timing may be an issue. It also produces a yellower spark, so I'm not sure how that will do in the distributor, or if the module is capable of keeping up with outboard motor RPMs. Let alone durability of an aluminum case in a saltwater environment. It would also not be using an anti-reversing feature on most of those that prevents the motor from running backwards. It's one of those "At your own risk" things.