JOHNSON OUTBOARD WON'T START

steve t

Recruit
I HAVE A 1997 JOHNSON 15HP PULL CRANK. ALWAYS RUN GAS OUT AFTER EACH USE. LAST TIME I USED IT, IT STARTED WITH 1 PULL. BEEN SITTING 6 MOS. USED OLD GAS MIXTURE, WON'T START. FLUSHED OUT CARB & USED BRAND NEW GAS MIXTURE, WON'T START. PLUGS ARE GOOD & GETTING FIRE. ANY IDEAS ON WHAT TO DO NEXT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: JOHNSON OUTBOARD WON'T START

i bet you pumped crap into the carb with the old gas in the line. if you have a compression guage check compression first, then disassemble thecarb and soak over night, blow out with compressed air, then reassemble withnew carb kit. bet you just hook up the lines an started pumping. i always stick a small nail or similar item in the hose and pump out old stuff.

tashasdaddy

Steve, i was not being critical of you in particular, it's just a common mistake.

steve t

Recruit

tashadaddy@comcast.net said:
i bet you pumped crap into the carb with the old gas in the line. if you have a compression guage check compression first, then disassemble thecarb and soak over night, blow out with compressed air, then reassemble withnew carb kit. bet you just hook up the lines an started pumping. i always stick a small nail or similar item in the hose and pump out old stuff.

steve t

Recruit

tashadaddy@comcast.net said:
Steve, i was not being critical of you in particular, it's just a common mistake.

i have worked on a lot of chevys in my day, but not too many boat motors, any suggestions or advice, ex: tried and true

x308

Cadet

I know this is silly but have you checked the kill switch?

Been there, did that. :^

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I'm with TD as far as the carb being gunked up from the old gas. Pull it down and clean it good and it should go...

tashasdaddy

ok, steve, as with a chevy. you have good compression, good spark, and it won't run what are you missing? proper fuel/oil/air . after trying to start are the plugs wet or dry? if wet it's flooding, if dry, it's not getting fuel. which points to the carb again, old gas sat in the gas line all winter became varnish. it doen't take must to screw up an outboard carb. the orifices are tiny, if you reed all the post about 33% are carb problems this time of year.