New impeller needed?

arno2

Recruit
My Yamaha 8HP trolling motor has an erratic Peeing problem"". Sometimes the water flow out the tube is ok and sometimes it diminishes to a trickle and even stops. All I have to do to restore it is to shove a tiny wire into the opening and the flow is restored. The tube doesn't' seem to be plugged as I barely insert the wire to restore the flow.
About the time I think I need a new impeller the flow constant but constant---but then it acts up again. I have shot some air into the tube but didn't didn't seem to help much.
advice need advice---Is Im something I'm missing here to fix the problem? Do you think a new impeller would be called for?

Casco Bay Outrage

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New impeller needed?

If the motor is used in salt water and boat stays in the water, could be salt buildup in the hose.

How old is the current impeller? How many hours on the engine?

If more than 2 years, I would change it out.

arno2

Recruit

Casco said:
If the motor is used in salt water and boat stays in the water, could be salt buildup in the hose.

How old is the current impeller? How many hours on the engine?

If more than 2 years, I would change it out.

arno2

Recruit

The motor is a 1994 and still has the original impeller. Sounds like it is time to change it.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

You can change the impellar, but my 15hp mariner does the same, I just keep fidling with the wire, I stay where there is alot of bugs and things that build nests in the pee hole ...