Best V4?

Gammabusa

Seaman
Hello all, I am thinking of taking off my 3 syl 70 and putting a V4 on my boat.

Since all the V4 seems to be the same in weight I was wondering if there was any models that was better/faster than the other.Speed is all this change is about and if any has some info I will be glad. Over here some says V4 are bad and some says get the newer loopers and also that the biggest are bad engines so go for 90/110?

what is easiest to tune some more hp out of?

Thanks

Ronny

Walker

Captain
Re: Best V4?

The big bore 90degree looper 120's and 130's are for sure the fastest v4's. But all the carbed v4's are good dependable motors

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

who ever told you v4 were no good does not have a clue.i have a 1982 90 rude and love it!sure you can buy new and get better but i will and can buy a lot of gas for the diff.

Gammabusa

Seaman

Thanks for info, anyone know weight of the 60 deg 115 loopers vs crossflow, the big 120-140 looper was abit heavier than expexted.......

Best V4?

To add to the pool of ideas.....
I own a 94 v4 looper and this engine is impecable, when running wide open, the gas does discipate rather quickly. I once ran out about 11 miles, and something happened to my motor and it braught me back on 3 of the cyclinders...... and I cant complain. I took it to a local evinrude dealer and they checked it out and i was back on the water the following weekend. I still have this motor and I havnt had any problems since. But I do have the assurance that if I go out in my boat, I will be making it back in.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

The early(1985-1988 ) 120 and 140 loopers had their teething problems. The exhaust relief was placed rather low and when mounted on some boats where the water line was quite high on the engine, the resulting back pressure caused issues. The "cures" from OMC were long and numerous. Included in the service bullitins were drilling of jets and airbleeds, drilling props, changes to the throttle linkage, float levels just naming a few. Later engines moved the relief higher.