Don S. - Am I crazy?

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer
The engine is a Volvo 5.7Gsi PEFS. The customer's complaint - the ever popular "loses power under load". And he adds when it loses power there is a strong fuel smell and "pinging" noise.

When I go to check it out the engine has original plugs, wires, cap and rotor. A few throttle "snaps" and I heard the pinging noise. It seemed to come from the back of the engine. Visual inspection reveals three plug wires showing signs of arcing to ground on the rear engine lift bracket.

It seemed that when a wire failed and arced to the bracket the waring horn also mounted on the bracket would make a loud pinging type noise. Have you seen/heard this happen before? I could be mistaken and it was a cross fire.

Dave

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Don S. - Am I crazy?

Never heard of that one before, but it doesn't sound impossible.
Obvioulsy the boat was lacking in maintenance.
I really hate those loud warning horns back on the engine. I usually a remote start panel, and usually have my hear very close to it when I turn the power on.....But I know it works :=
Somehow, I bet it will run great with a tuneup and new plug wires.

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Don. I thought maybe it was something you had seen before. I was only able to get it to do it twice so I am not 100% certain it was the warning horn that I heard.

Dave

bracket

KaGee

Admiral

But, why should I tune it up?
It ran great before. o:)

:^