solvents: MEK, acetone, xylene, which to use ?

ron7000

Banned
acetone, MEK, denatured alcohol, xylene (xylol?), lacquer thinner, paint thinner (mineral spirits)

can anyone give some insight on the when's, where's and why's to use which solvent or dilutant?

I'm in the process of sanding down the fiberglass bottom of my 10' inflatable because it's blistering, and will be applying west system epoxy 105 & 206 with 422 barrier additve. What should I use for surface cleaning of the gelcoat/fiberglass?

Is any of the solvents harmful to the hypalon? Not that I'm going to be cleaning the hypalon full out with it, but just in case I get a drop of it on the hypalon I don't want it burning a hole through it or something.

thanks.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: solvents: MEK, acetone, xylene, which to use ?

Generally speaking, the solvent or dilutant used will depend on what comes after. For example, when painting with lacquer, the wash of choice would be lacquer thinner. If oil based, then mineral spirits would be used. Of course, it's a compatibility issue. Critical when considering dilution, but not to be overlooked as a cleaner or wash, as in your case. Since epoxy is what your applying, I would use the denatured alcohol as a wash given the hypalon. The other solvents mentioned, except for the mineral spirits are fairly "hot" solvents and I would be leery of using them around the hypalon Of course none of this is "written on a rock", so to speak. Others may differ.

Dave

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Regarding the solvents in question, be carefull of what u use to clean before application in case the surface to be repaired may be damaged further by the use of the wrong solvent. I would contact the manufacturers of the products you intend using and explain the application to them and then take their advice. do it right the first time

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Regarding the solvents in question, be carefull of what u use to clean before application in case the surface to be repaired may be damaged further by the use of the wrong solvent. I would contact the manufacturers of the products you intend using and explain the application to them and then take their advice. do it right the first time , kind regards William Wright