Broken fly rod

ob15

Chief Petty Officer
My step father gave me a fly rod (#9) he made back in the 60's and it has inly been used be me (a couple times). It a great rod but the tip broke off (about 6" down from tip). I'm thinking about using epoxy & a wood insert to repair it. I will propably wrap the outside with thread & epxoy also. Think this will work? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Broken fly rod

sure, it will work, although you may lose a bit<br />of flex/sensitivity. maybe something more flexible<br />than wood is better?

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks!<br /><br />I figured I would lose some sensitivity & flex, but couldn't think of anything else to use. I hope someone has an idea.

crab bait

Captain

i'd take it to a specialty shop, an ask..<br />or let them do it.. <br /><br />but if'n i'd do it.. the rod would be just six inches shorter.. no big deal..

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you can access the hollow part, find a length of fiberglass that will fit snugly in the broken sections, then epoxy, add a guide. Just a thought. i think that whatever you do will put to much stress on the tip and it will break again.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

If you stiffen up a fly rod it may mess with the cast. I don't have a clue how to fix the problem but if it were me I would try the insert with some tape and then see if it will still cast. If being stiff at the tip does mess up casting then you won't have epoxy all over it to deal with. Then you can move on to the next possability. Good luck!<br /><br />Remember in fly casting it is the line that drives the fly, But it is the rod that drives the line. It is a lot more sensative system than a 1oz+ weight dragging line off a reel.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Its been tried many times. The only way to fix it<br />so it will carry the line properly is to shorten<br />the tip. You may have to move a guide or two,<br />and epoxy the tip possibly with a new guide.<br />Other wise it will break again.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you all very much. I have a lot to ponder now.

SoulWinner

Commander

I am with nosleep on this one. I tried several times to repair a broken rod with inserts and epoxy and twine etc. It just would not hold together under the loads of casting and reeling in fish. Just shorten the rod and be done with it. That way it won't upset a fishing trip by disassembling it's self at an inappropriate time :D

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

SoulWinner <br /><br />I will probably just fix it and never use it. Will by a new pole. Thanks for all your input & hope I didn't cause too much sleeplessness.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

poles need to be fished! LOL<br />just go back 2 orig. idea, put a lil dowl in there<br />and it won't re-break... how much will it effect<br />casting her??? you're the guinea pig Dave.<br />might be a "lucky" pole? :cool:

NOSLEEP

Commander

Is it a 9 ft rod or 8.1/2'?<br />Shortening the rod and moving the guides is simple<br />Just pick up some clear two part epoxy in the<br />syringe style and a little thread you can repair<br />it easily. It will be as good as new , just a tad<br />shorter. No worries! :)

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Once again, thanks to all!<br /><br />OK, here's what i am going to do. I have plenty of fiberglass cloth & epoxy left after building my boat. I am going to take some single strands of the cloth and coat them with epoxy. I will then wrap them in plastic and roll it while it sets and hope i can get it fairly round. I guess that would make a pretty good blank to fit inside the pole. I may make it a little large than the inside of the pole and sand it to fit. I will epoxy that inside the pole and then wrap the outside with thread & epoxy. If it brakes, at least I tried. I really want to keep it and use it beacuse my step-father made the pole (very high quality rod for being built in the 60's) and I am the only one who has used it. Had a lot of fun catching some dolphin schooleys on it.<br /><br />Wish me luck & hopefully when I update this post it's because I caught a nice snook and it didn't break.

NathanY

Commander

Bass Pro Shops has a great rod repair guy onsite in Springfield, you can ship it up there and they will fix it and ship it back.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dave,<br /><br />There is a shop here in Tavares that has been repairing reels and making custom rods for 30 plus years. <br />Suncoast Ron n Reel Repair<br />(352) 343-7877<br />Give them a call, they are also inexpensive.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Thnaks guys but I epoxied it together last night.