Downrigger Blowback

How do you downrigger fishermen take into account the blowback or swayback when you are trolling with a downrigger?

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: Downrigger Blowback

If you mean the angle that the D/R ball is at<br />when trolling fast or in very deep water.<br />I usually just try to estimate the angle the line<br />is at as it enters the water and the depth of the<br />ball and let an little extra depth out to <br />compensate for the angle. If thats what you mean.

catmania

Seaman

((desired depth)(desired depth))*((distance back of ball)(distance back of ball))=((length of line to release)(length of line to release))<br /> :rolleyes: <br />pythagorean theorem<br /> :mad: <br />or let out till u hit bottom then compare that depth with depth sounder to give you a rough estimate, when trolling for winter springs i hit bottom, reel up 2-5 feet and wait for the fishes.

Thanks for the website references. I looked at the tables, but they don't seem to agree. The Michigan table says if I want to be down 100 feet and I have a 45 degree angle on my cable, I need to let out 141 feet of cable. The second site has a table that says if I let out 100 feet of cable at a 45 degree angle, I am down 99 feet. That's 42 feet apart. :confused: I also looked at the websites for the downrigger companies and they don't have anything to say about this. :( Which one of those tables is right?

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

what about checking the downrigger blip on the depthsounder to give you an accurate figure