Florida Fishing

Badger99

Seaman Apprentice
My wife and I are both nurses and have had it with this freezing cold north east and are moving south come fall. I can pretty much work anywhere but we were looking at both coasts. East coast from Melbourne to West Palm and West Coast Sarasota area. I live to fish and was just wondering what side is better? Can tuna be caught on the gulf side? :confused:

nightride

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Florida Fishing

Hi Badger99<br />fishing is great here in florida but if your looking for tuna the east coast would be the best bet The west coast has tuna here but got to run 60 or more miles for deep water here you can go out 3 miles and still walk back to shore but i wouldnt trade the west coast for anything the east coast is to built up moved here 2 years ago from mass never go back to take cold again good luck on your move

Badger99

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Nightride<br /><br />I know there is a lot of good inshore fishing on the Gulf side such as Snook Reds tarpon etc. What kind of big game fishing does the gulf have closer in?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Nightride is right on about having to run a long ways to deep water on the west coast for big game.. <br /><br />Closer in, there's good bottom for grouper, snapper, and such.. Kingfish (YUCK!) are also a good bet.. Also, being on the west coast you have the opprotunity being somewhat close to the Dry Tortugas which has some of the most productive bottom on the planet..<br /><br />The east coast.. oh boy. where to start? The east coast is growing very fast.. Farther north from jensen thru melbourne and sebastian it's not so bad yet, probably will be soon enuff though..<br /><br />I'd say the best attribute of the east coast is the fact that the gulf stream is very close, only a matter of a few miles off shore.. Tuna, wahoo, dolphin, sails, swordfish, and even the occasional marlin is'nt out of the realm of possibility, all well within sight of land!(and condos :mad: )... Bottom fishing ain't bad either, and the Bahamas is fairly close as well...<br /><br />There's also some very good inshore action on the east coast.. The Indian river lagoon, Lake worth lagoon, and ICW is full of snook, reds, tarpon, trout, ect. ...

jmtackleguy

Cadet

I would definetly move to the west coast of Florida. Not only bescase the inshore and nearshore fishing is better there, but the east coast tends to be hit much harder by hurricanes(Somthing you want to consider, especially if youre going to build directly on the water.)<br /><br />Also, I hope snapperbait isnt trying to say that kingfish are poor table fare because this isnt true, If you would like a recipe for kingfish just ask, ive got some good ones.

Badger99

Seaman Apprentice

I have heard you can eat king macrel with some good blackening kind of like redfish. But Im pretty sure I would miss yellowfin tuna. I understand you can catch Octopus while bottom fishing as well? Those are quite yummy.<br />You guys do any squidding or shrimping on the west side as well? <br />I'm starting to think that on the gulf side I wouldnt need my 24 foot Deep V offshore rig. Looks like mild shallow gulf seas are better suited to an 18-22 foot center console. <br />I know I like the housing and "Old Florida" look of the Sarasota area. Looks like a nice family place to raise my son 7 years old and Daughter 3 years old.<br /><br />Any suggestions on finding someone to fish with down there?

nightride

Petty Officer 3rd Class

badger i would bring your 24ft when i said the water is not deep i didnt mean its not rough the gulf sometimes can be just as bad as the atlantic side with waves comming in all directions plus having a cabin you and your family will have shelter from the heat and rain as far as fishing goes sailfish and wahoo and barraacuda are good fighting fish here

Badger99

Seaman Apprentice

Oh I hear Wahoo run like water rockets. Are they tastee? Do you get Dolphin/Dorado there as well?<br />My old Boat 24 Seabird Flybridge <br /><br />I look forward to making new fishing friends down in South Florida. The wife was about sold anyway so with everyone reccomending the gulf side I think that about clinches it for me. <br /><br />Badger

nightride

Petty Officer 3rd Class

badger yes we dolphin/dorado and your boat will be great for your off shore fishing I havent been out there in the last couple weeks my wife is a cna with lots of hours and were starting a sea scouts ship up so the kids take up alot of time i think your like the gulf coast we live in new port richey about a hour north from Sarasota houses are just to high here houses start in the low 40s

Badger99

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Nightride<br /><br />What is sea scouts? My son is in cubscouts is that something similar?<br /><br />I hope to use the boat a lot. It gets pretty hot inside the cabin on hot days however and the Seabird cabin unbolts and pops right off. Have to see how it works out. I don't have steering and helm on the bridge plus its pretty tippy up there. Still might be better to add a center console and a soft top for that climate. <br /><br />How far out do you need to go for offshore trips? I have heard 60 miles but that seems a bit much for my boat. Then again the North Atlantic that Im used to is pretty nasty. 4 foot seas is a good day here and I have come home in 9's. No fun there. <br /><br />Badger

nightride

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi badger<br /> as winter here comes to a end the waters will start to warm up so to get the big fish you have to run out about 30 miles or so I have a 22 ft cabin crusier which i run about 40miles the middle grounds are appx 60miles,cub scouts.boyscouts.seascouts/If your moving towards Sarasota the waters are a little deeper so you might not have to run that far out there are alot of sunken wrecks and reefs down there to fish at