Spinning and Bait Cast

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
My whole life I have fished with a spinning rod. But I am seeing more and more people using bait cast rodes.<br /><br />I use spinning rods with the reel handle on the left. Most bait cast have handle on the right.<br /><br />Questions:<br /><br />1. What is the reason to use a bait cast?<br /><br />2. Can I get one with a left had crank?<br /><br />I freshwater fish for bass/crappie/perch/wallye and the occasional muskie.<br /><br />I prefer light weight gear (ultra lite rod and real with 4 or 6 lbs. test). Obviously not for wallye or muskie.<br /><br />Comments?

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Spinning and Bait Cast

Steam_Mill, I'm sure the guys here are way more expert than I but I switched from a spinning rod/real combo to a 7'-8' light action rod and bait casting reel last year. I go a little heavier on the line using 10 or 12 pound test since our type of fishing includes anything from 2 pounds to 25 or better using same tackle.<br /><br />My experience is that 'snap casting' is more comfortable and quicker. You can get your line out further and manipulate baits and lures better, particularly when dealing with boat-wary fish. Spinning gear is more forgiving than bait cast in a head wind but overall I prefer the latter.<br /><br />It takes a little getting used to at first, but once you start with a bait casting reel and ultra lite rod, its hard to go back. <br /><br /> :)

NOSLEEP

Commander

What Ladyfish said.<br />And yes you can get them in left hand retrieve.<br />All of mine are left hand retrieve and I am<br />right handed. I just dont understand the changing<br />hands thing.

NOSLEEP

Commander

If your using real light gear, 4 to 6lb you<br />will have much better luck with spinning gear.<br />Baitcasters dont perform as well with light gear<br />and line.

FLATHEAD

Commander

Once you get the hang of a bait caster you will find that accuracy is better than a spinner because you can controll the amount of line being fed out with your thumb.<br /><br />I also have switched my casting reels to left hand.<br /><br />That being said there is nothing wrong with a good spinning reel, you will find several of each type of reel on my boat when I am out on the water.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

steam_mill, when looking for left handed reels, look at abu garcia.<br />Most of their model numbers that are left handed will end in a 1.<br />ie: 5501, 6501, 4601, etc.

crab bait

Captain

you guys are gonna fall down laughin' .. boy, your gonna get a big kick-out-of-this.. laugh & laugh.. well, get some oxygen first an the read this..<br /><br /> if i'm castin' AT ALL.. except flyfishin' ,, i'm usin'a closed faced reel... have been since i was a kid.. <br /><br />i refuse to use an will never buy another spin reel EVER for the rest of my life.. <br /><br />i totally dispize the blasted things..<br /><br />with the close face ,diawa goldcast, never never never never have any problems at all, ever.. and don't have to worry about weight of cast an wind.. from i/16 to 3/4 oz.. in a head wind..<br /><br />an accurate,, unbelieveable.. it's like i got a scope on it..of coarse 30 years worth of 'em,, i got the hang .. <br /><br />anyway it's all i use.. even converted some folks to them.. they cast as far as anybody else with the same lure tied on .. altho ,i only use bass pro quailifer rods.. <br /><br />the gold casters has a good drag.. caught many many 38 inch rock ( striper ) without fail..( ain't much like the sound of a big rockfish pullin' drag..baby,don't spool me now..!!) <br /><br />one bad point ,, they don't last forever,, get about 6 years an then chuck it.. but for $ 50 bucs........<br /><br />use them in saltwater ,too.. got baitcasters ,also.. for trollin', bait fishin' ,non castin' events... <br /><br />people don't REALLY use those baitcasters for actual castin' do they...??? <br /> ;)

NOSLEEP

Commander

World longest casting records are all held by <br />baitcasters.

LubeDude

Admiral

I mainly fish Bass with an ocational steelhead trip!<br />I use spinning for light gear and worm fishing (Plastic worm), and baitcast for near everything else, Ambasdeur 4600! Acuracy is better with the baitcasters, but you can get real good with a spinning reel by feathering the line with your fore finger! I like Worm fishing with a spinning reel because I can release line easier as the worm sinks!<br />I change hands as I like to palm my reel in my left hand! I feel the balance is better, you get to where you change hands while the lure is in the air! Different strokes different folks!!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by crab bait:<br />people don't REALLY use those baitcasters for actual castin' do they...??? <br /> ;)
crab, I won't laugh.<br />I know a lot of people that don't like the bait casters.<br />But that is all I use and have for the last 20 years or so, so I have goting use to them.<br />Some people though just can not get the hang of them.<br />Can't count the times I have had to cut the "birds nest" out of them for people.

Ralph 123

Captain

Have to agree w/ Flahthead SBN - once you get the hang of it you can cast with pinpoint accuracy with a baitcaster. They are also better for very large saltwater game fish. The hold more line for deep sea and better (in general) ratios for hauling in the monsters.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I'm in the use both catagory. I find with the lighter fishing the line can cut in on itself or create small problems with light lures on the baitcasters. I prefer them as the size of the tackle or game increases though.<br /><br />I even ocasinally use closed faced reels, never used a good one just the zebco's I keep for my kids. I gotta say even though there the cheap ones they arn't bad.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Ralph:<br />Have to agree w/ Flahthead SBN - once you get the hang of it you can cast with pinpoint accuracy with a baitcaster. They are also better for very large saltwater game fish. The hold more line for deep sea and better (in general) ratios for hauling in the monsters.
I was talking about reels like abu's 5500's and 6500's and 7000's.<br />That's about all I use.<br />A Curato throwed in for good measure.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

As always use the right tool for the job. <br />I use baitcsters for heavy cover fishing, or when using large lures(for muskies, bass etc), spinning rigs when using ultra-lite or finess fishing for lite biters. Even closed face reels work for teaching novice fisherman or those times one just wants to relax. <br /> With the newer baitcasters, using magnetic controls, it is alot easier to learn(keeps backlash down). <br /> I started my kids with closed spinning, then went onto open spinning and never forced them to use a reel they didn't want to. My son finally wants to use a baitcaster(he is 13 but like I said never force)and hopefully it will add to his fondness of fishing. As the person responseable for my love of fishing said. Use a cane pole, string on a can(whatever) just fish.

Ralph 123

Captain

Same same except size for water type. Bigger for salt (7000, 9000, 10000) and smaller for fresh. As you cast, you can stop the reel and drop the line right where you want it. Much harder to do with a spinner.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I must be wired all wrong, or most of you are.!?<br /><br />Started with cane poles as a kid, then Zebco 202's and 600's. Still keep one 600 for when the weather is real cold and I want to wear gloves.<br /><br />Bought a Shimano spinner back in '81 ?<br />Then some more.<br />Have lots of them now. Never a single failure or problem with them. But I do like the front drag models for their smoothness and consistency.<br /><br />Tried the bait casters a couple times, but never liked them. Bought a new one last year, and tried to get it right for most of the summer. I feel I am about as good as I will ever be with it. I will use it for trolling, but not much more.<br /><br />Why?<br />I can cast my spinners with either hand, overhand, underhand, sidearm, with 2-4-6-8-12 lb test line, or 30lb Fireline, with incredible accuracy, and a very light touch, with live bait-minnows, a light spinner, a crank bait, or an eighth ounce jig. I can cast my spinning reel far enough to scare the passing waterskiers, and can "squeeze" the line with my non casting hand to stop the lure should I give it a bit too much umph when I cast. This technique works well if you are casting in and around tree branches for crappie or walleye.<br /><br />I got my mom to switch to a spinning reel at the age of 65, and she won't use the baitcaster or spincaster ever again.

bilmac

Cadet

As long as we're bringing up the wierd stuff here I am renewing my taste for the old style bait casters, the ones that don't disengage the reel handles to cast. Couple of reasons, I like to play my fish myself, apply drag with my thumb not have a michine do it for me. Also, for bait fishing, when you engage the clicker on these old reels you get just the right friction to allow a fish to run while preventing the reel from overrunning, and also provides a nice loud alarm at the same time. Many fond memories of being awakened at night by the old baitcaster singing.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

fish with spinners exclusively. love old Mitchell/garcia reels.<br />300's for bass and just picked up a couple nice<br />306's from ebay for bigger one's.<br />here's a pic of 306:<br />
b8_1.JPG
<br />not a scratch on it when I got it :D