Which is the best downrigger?

sirjin

Seaman Apprentice
If I were to buy the best downrigger out there in the market for under $200, what is the best downrigger for your buck?<br /><br />I've looked at Penn, Cannon and Scotty. I don't know which to buy?

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Which is the best downrigger?

If you were to take a stroll around the local harbors here in Ketchikan, you would notice the vast majority of boats (sport and charter) have Penns mounted. I have a Fathom Master that has served me very well for years. I tried a Cannon once on another boat, and found the drag/crank lever combo to be a bit awkward. Just my 2 cents.

Jerry M.

Seaman

Got my first one several months ago, and bought a Scotty. One reason I got it was that I liked the big take-up reel. Can retrieve real fast. I have a little difficulty with the clutch and reel handle being a two hand operation on the lowering. Takes some getting used to and trial and error for a smooth lowering with the rod and reel line. Used quite a bit on the Sound and so far it works well.<br /><br />Jerry

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Scotty's are the downrigger of choice here, and they have an excellent reputation for replacing broken parts-which doesn't happen all that often, either.No problems with corrosion either- they are made for salt water.They come in both manual and electric- with electric taking over now.It's rare to see anything other than a Scotty out here

sirjin

Seaman Apprentice

I've heard about Scotty's warranty and replacing broken parts.<br /><br />Does anyone else know about the other two? Does Cannon or Penn have any good warranty? Lifetime?<br /><br />I saw a boat this weekend pull in a couple lunker chinooks at the mouth of the Nisqually River. Looks to be in the mid 20's lbs range. He was using a downrigger (obviously), which I don't own and am looking for a good downrigger for a good price. Under $200. I've narrowed it down to these, Cannon Easy Troll 2, Scotty #1080 or Penn Fathom Master 600?

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know what other downriggers are electric-but since Scotty began making the electric models, the manual ones turn up pretty cheap in classified adds.Pretty fool proof, too.Summer fish generally run under 100' but the winter springs are right on the bottom, so cranking up 200 or 300' of wire with a 15 lb. cannon ball makes the electric model pretty attractive- eapecially if the water is weedy- you're cranking it up every 15 minutes or so to keep the line clean.

catmania

Seaman

I have a cannon, a scotty and a big john.<br />They are all manual, and all long arms.<br />I fish deep in the winter 120'+ and shallow in the summer 30'+ , I always use downriggers. I fish about 15 hours a week. More if i can.<br /><br />The Scotty is the way to go. Even without the lifetime warranty and the excellent service it would be the best cause i have never needed to take it in to be serviced. <br /><br />The Cannon is a horror show! At first i thought the clutch (onehanded operation and you dont have to reel it down just back it off a bit and it goes down by itself) was pretty neat but of course anything "neat" eventually causes trouble. Also unlike the scotty with 2:1 ratio it has a 1:1 ratio which can be an arm buster while winter spring fishing. Also the main bolt that attaches to the handle is some custom made thing that you cant buy off the shelve and it has started to strip its threads. <br /> <br />Now i am using the big john and the scotty <br /><br />The big John is idiot proof so even my fishing buddies use it without problems :) (it uses a manual pin instead of the clutch or friction brake)<br /><br />I think the next downrigger i buy would be a scotty, unless i get a great deal on a Penn.<br /><br />I would not waste anymore time/money on a cannon. I have been stuck trying to rebuild mine too many times while the bite is on.<br /><br />This all being said i think that the Cannon is the nicest looking of all of them :) So maybe i will mount it on my wall, but not on my boat!

catmania

Seaman

Ohh i forgot to mention, go check out your used boating goods stores, a used scotty is a good scotty, and you may get one at half the price

Link

Rear Admiral

sirjin<br /><br />Guess I'll throw my 2 cents in here.Me and my fishing partner bought a pair of elect scottys when sportco out in fife was having a sale. That was 9 years ago. We picked scotty because it had a very fast retrive and bone simple! With a good record for service. Got throw my hat in with the others on getting used to letting it down and controlling the pole :) If you could find a used electric I'd go that way. Have saved many a ball and line with the one button push and up it flys.. No mines not for sale and never will be :) <br /><br />Luck to ya.<br /><br />Link

sirjin

Seaman Apprentice

Link,<br />Thanks for that info. The only thing about Sportco in Fife, if you're not a member.. then you pay too much! Link.. do you attend much of the boat shows around here in the NW? I was wondering if any would be in the Seattle or in the Tacoma Dome in the near future? I can't remember if they have some vendors that sells downriggers at these shows.. I don't see why not?<br /><br />After reading the reviews here and talking to friends and co-workers.. I hear nothing but good things with Scotty's. I think I may turn my interests to Scotty.<br /><br />I agree with catmania about Cannon looking good..<br />
This all being said i think that the Cannon is the nicest looking of all of them So maybe i will mount it on my wall, but not on my boat!
This is the reason why I put Cannon in the mix of downriggers.. 'looks'

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you can spring for it- go with the Scotty Electric- you won't be sorry.The only downside is you won't have the fun of shopping for another one for a long time....

sirjin

Seaman Apprentice

ratherbefishin,<br /><br />I would love to grab an electric.. but I'm already stretchin it with the wife @ $200.<br /><br />Plus, I'm trying to save up for the Hawaii trip next year. <br /><br />Too much fun and not enough $$ :( .. hehe

dmonwai

Seaman

Spend the extra money for the Scotty electric. <br /><br />If you don't you will wish you did after the 3rd time of cranking a 15lb ball up from 170 feet while fishing for Blackmouth because the line popped loose from the release by its self.<br /><br />Or you are fishing by yourself and you get the biggest salmon you have ever caught and loose it because it gets tangled with the downrigger cable because you can not get the ball up while fighting the fish.<br /><br />Outdoor Emporium in Seattle has very good prices on Scotty electric downriggers.<br /><br /> Outdoor Emporium <br /><br />I was there last week and they had the 24 inch boom for around $250.00. You will need to call them for the best price, Scotty will not let them advertise the price that they sell them at.<br /><br />Damon

Link

Rear Admiral

sirjin<br /><br />Didnt seem like 4 days went by. Sorry Anyway<br />A: Always go to the Seattle boat show in January<br />B: Almost always Tacoma in feb/march<br />C: and catch sportmans show if Im looking for some<br />thing<br />Yes Seattle and sportsman shows always scotty<br />dealers <br /><br />With that said (I know ur on a budget which is <br />why I said look for a used one) I have sold more scottys elect at the boat shows as a customer by walking up to where they were being sold and usually a couple of old cheap fishermen will be asking ? ? ? to the sales person and I just say<br />Hey we bought them x number of years ago and then<br />say almost exactly what dmonwai said! <br /> <br />"Spend the extra money for the Scotty electric. <br /><br />If you don't you will wish you did after the 3rd time of cranking a 15lb ball up from 170 feet while fishing for Blackmouth because the line popped loose from the release by its self."<br /><br />Works everytime with them old farts.. :) <br /><br />dmonwai: I had forgot the name of the outfit but<br />your right Scotty wont let them advertise the prices. :) Wouldnt even let them put the price up<br />at shows last year!<br /><br />sirjin I hope all this helps..<br /><br />Explain to your other half that the extra 50 bucks<br />will made up for in no-time with all the salmon<br />your going to bring home! As a matter of fack that<br />thing will not only make up the fifty but pay for<br />its self! <br />OK that may be pushing it a bit :p <br /><br />Link

ericgj510

Cadet

just another plug for the electric scotty's. I have only had them a couple of years but they are great. I had the penn 600's which work just fine but the electric is soooooo nice . A friend of mine has a pair of manual scotty's and they work well also. By the way the Penn's are collecting dust in the garage and should be for sale.