Offshore Fishing on the Jersey Coast

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking to talk to people who fish offshore on the Jersey coast(ocean in general as well) for Tuna, Shark, etc. I would like to know what kind of boats, poles, where you go fishing, docking areas. My dad had a 28 foot boat in belmar nj way back when i was a kid and I want to get back down there. I have been fishing Lake Ontario for 10 years now traveling 4 hours to get there but have an ocean 45 mins away. If anybody would like to take the time and have short convos that could help me out that would be great. Talk to ya later and have fun catchin them.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Offshore Fishing on the Jersey Coast

A group of friends I graduated with from college usually make it an annual event to charter on a boat out of the shark river inlet in Belmar. It's been a few years since I've been down there but I believe a hot spot is what the locals refer to as "The Mud Hole" which is about 10 miles out. This area is or was very popular for bluefish. We used cut bait, eels, and mackerell. We have also had good success drifting through the chum slicks several hundred yards behind party boats.<br /><br />One time in particular stands out in my mind when we filled a 55 gallon palstic garbage can up with bluefish. After about 1hr of fishing our arms were petered out from catching so many fish and we returned back to the marina where we gave most of our catch away. Some of us returned about 2 weeks later and only boated three fish all day long.<br /><br />Lake Ontario is also very nice and the freshwater is much easier on your gear. Hooking into some of the lakes king salmon can afford just as much and sometimes more excitement than coastal fishing opportunities.<br /><br />Tight Lines<br />Kevin