What's a good fish finder?

Bearcamp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's what I have,,,,,,14 ft. jon boat with a 15 horse evinrude. Works great. I'd like to get a fish finder for use in our river and some lakes. Do they make them that takes like 9 volt batteries or do I need a 12 car battery? What would be a good finder and depth finder for my boat. Don't really want to spend a pile of $$$$. Give me your ideas please. Never had one before. Don't really want something that's big and bulky.

bobaschmidt

Cadet
Re: What's a good fish finder?

Check into the Humminbird line, They have portable units that run on 2 6 volt lantern batteries. That way you can just suction cup the transducer to the back of your boat and remove it each time your out. I used my dad's for 3 years and it worked great for my 12' V 15hp johnson. you can pick up a unit for around $130 or so. Humminbird also has a unit that you can cast like a plug on your fishing pole.<br />Hope it helps, Bob :D

bubbaboater

Seaman

Eagle has portable units too. I have a Hummingbird that came with the boat and just a Eagle on a couple weeks ago. The Eagle is a much better unit for the same money.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Some of the new portable ones run on 8 AA batteries. With a couple sets of rechargables you would be set for a few years.<br /><br />The non portable units are lots cheaper, and you can get a small (2x3x6 inch) rechargable 12 volt battery and charger from a major sporting good store for $30 (Cabelas).<br /><br />Look here:<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...16110&current_category=electronic>fish finder <br /><br />or here:<br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...16110&current_category=electronic>fish finder

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I would stay away from the lantern batteries. Even when you dont use them they die. I have an eagle II for my boat. I bought a cheap plastic tool box and the cheapest motorcycle battery I could find at fleet farm and use this for a portable for Ice fishing. I have used this battery for the last five years and it still holds a pretty good charge and it cost $17.

D

DJ

eurolarva's got the right ticket.<br /><br />Stay away from Humminbirds. Eagle, Garmin, Lowrance are all much better.

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

Just pick up a Eagle FishEasy 2 unit work great was on sale at cabelas $119.00

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I prefer the Eagles, too. They work and you get more for your money. I like the idea of a motorcycle battery for the portable unit, too. Good thimking, eurolarva.

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey eurolarva, I like your idea as well. Right now I use plain ol' batteries to power my portable. How did you hook up the motorcycle battery to your fishfinder? Do you have to buy additional wiring to do this? I hate to go off topic on someone's post, but I was just curious. thanks!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Ok guys, what is wrong with the leakproof maintenance free from Cabelas? Its only 4x6x2.5".<br />It is the same as the ones that come with the Vexilar portable ice fishing units. And comes with its own charger. Brother in law uses one and runs his nav lights and a radio off of it.<br /><br />I have a Fish id portable, put in 2 fresh alkalines in spring and they last me all summer.<br /><br /> http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...916&catalogCode=UC&parentId=&parentType=&rid= &cmCat=search

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Roscoe, I don't have a problem with the Cabela's battery. I've never tried it-- I have a motorcycle batttery in my garage and if there is a way to hook it to my portable, I'm willing to give it a try. I've heard a lot of good things also about the Cabela's battery :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

mountain-- You shouldn't need any additional wiring. Just hook the leads to the battery. Make sure you have an inline fuse in the + lead, one should have come with your locator.<br />You can hook up a socket type quick disconnect if you like.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Hey Mountain Boy. My wiring on my boat is tied with a couple of plastic ties so I can remove them from my boat. I also have a transom rod for the ducer that I use for ice fishing. I take them off and just use small spade lugs on the end so they will work on motorcycle battery lugs and on my marine battery wing nuts. I only spent about 25 bucks for the whole rig. I like using the eagle 2 for ice fishing because it has an analog mode that acts like a valexar. I know it is not as good for ice fishing but I like to keep it cheap and I am able to find and catch fish with it in the winter. Everyone out there has velexars and I dont get the interfearance from their units. I even had to use the motorcycle battery to get me home once when my main battery was dead. The motorcycle battery gave me about an extra 20 minutes for the trolling motor. Sure beats using the oars.

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, eurolarva--I also use mine for ice fishing. I purchased the ice-dapter rod last winter and found that it really helped keep the transducer steady. I appreciate the information. Happy 4th :cool:

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

i have an eagle fisheasy and trifinder. both work great. with your set up, sounds like you will need a trolling motor too. if you are planning to get one then it will run off the same battery. this will help save $$$ on AAA batteries.

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mountainboy....Your motorcycle battery wont work,Motorcycle batteries are 6 volts.<br /><br />Suzuki40

SingleShot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Depend on the motor cycle, all my scooters were 12volt.<br /><br />SingleShot