trying my hand at writing, Please let me know what you think

sprintflyer

Cadet
My Transformation To An Outdoorsman<br />By Shane Lyall<br /><br /> First I must set the stage for my story. Two 11 year old boys who would live on the river bank or in the woods if it were not for the slew foxes and the mad rabies infested mud turtles that only prowl around after dark in this part of the south. <br /><br /> At least that is what old man Crowse would tell us when he caught us rambling around his barn after dark.Some folks said he made moonshine but I never did find any reason to believe that a seventy three year old man who never worked a day in his life shouldn't ride a new Cadillac and live in the finest home in the "bottoms."<br /><br /> I moved into the hollow when I was about seven or eight years old and that is when the transformation started. You must understand my family is not,by any stretch of the imagination,a "outdoor"type of people.<br /><br /> They are more at home at brunch or on a snooty golf course than in their own back yard. They are the type of people who turn up there nose at any fishing or hunting endeavor and label it as uncouth and barbaric to harm defenceless animals but will put on a fur coat or leather shoes any time there is a black tie affair.<br /><br /> Enter my new best friend and all hell breaks loose!<br /> <br /> The first time my father ever laid eyes on Marv it was just dusky dark and he was doing a belly crawl across our front yard in full camo and face paint.<br />He was on a bait gathering mission for a cat fishing trip we had planed that night. As young Marv commandeer up to my father he looked up an told us," E'm night crawlers gots eyes good as any turkey an if'n ye ain't real careful they'll wind ye an run off!" <br /><br /> "Dam that boy is weird son"Was dear old dads reply as Marv did his best Rambo impersonation around the corner of our house never lifting his nose more than three inches from the ground."Sometimes you can smell e'm but it 'pends on what they's been a eat'n."<br /><br /> Father just shook his head and smiled.<br /> <br />I can remember a time when Marv ,single handed,caused the evacuation of a three square mile area and a red alert of the Virginia Haz-Mat Team.<br />It was a scary situation seeing the huge plume of green smoke billowing up from the vicinity of Marv's house and knowing his parents were away on vacation. <br /><br /> When Dad went to check on him he described the scene as Marv cooking God only knows in a wash tub siting in a fire pit and stirring it with a boat paddle."I's fixin' to cure cancer er' somethun' like it with this here brew"He said. Dad looked at me and said "Dam that boy is weird"<br /> <br /> One summer afternoon Marv suggested we swap work so we could do some frog gigging that night.<br /> For those of you from urban areas who might not know of this practice, out here in farm country we would do what was known as "swapping work".<br />I would help get his chores done and then he would help me get mine and we would be off to the fishing hole that much quicker.<br />I agreed and we had to do a little weed cutting at his place.<br /> Now,Marv always had an old beagle or two around and for some reason they were always ill tempered.<br />Marv stepped inside the dog lot with the weed eater running and one of the "prize winnin' rabbit hounds"as he called them ran out of the dog house and sniped at his ankle. He turned and scolded the dog as it ran back into the doghouse to fast for Marv to catch him.<br /> This same scene unfolded four or five times and I could not help but laugh at him and it only made him worse.<br />In a fit of rage he pulled out about two feet of string on the weed eater and "stuck the snout" inside of the doghouse!<br /> "I'll break e'm sons a bichin' dawgs from bitin' me!" He screamed above the over revved weedeater. Now imagine ,if you can,three beagle dogs and a wide open weedeater in one 4'x4' doghouse.<br /><br /> We didn't get any frog gigging in that night because after we doctored the prize winning dogs and nailed the tin roof back on the doghouse the mood had passed.<br /><br /> I have learned a lot from Marv,Mostly what NOT to do, but he is one of the best outdoorsmen and dearest friends I have ever known.<br /> If I had not met him as a child I may have followed the path of my forefathers and found enjoyment in a glass of wine at an art exhibit instead of a cold beer savored from the front seat of a bass boat on a hot July evening.<br />Thank you Marv.<br /><br /> Marv and I sill fish together from time to time and just the other day I pulled into his driveway to pick him up for a trip to our local lake. He was on the front porch moo-ing at his pet cow, spot,and he called out "come on up here an' drank one with me a'fore we head out."<br /><br />As we sat and talked about the good ol' days his son came running up on the porch wearing two different shoes and said <br /><br />"Paw, Do chicken *****s got nipples on e'm?" <br /><br />Marv looked at me, smiled, and said "Dam 'at boy's weird ain't he?

ebbtide176

Commander
Re: trying my hand at writing, Please let me know what you think

Its a nice story, you're on the way to being another Sam Clemens, for sure! ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look up "paragraph".<br /><br />I wont bother reading a paragraph that includes 74 lines, more than a dozen sentences, some run together, some incomplete.<br /><br />Telling a story is one thing, SF. Telling it in readable form is another matter.<br /><br />I don't know if you story is good or not. Your writing is grade four.

crab bait

Captain

i popped some popcorn for this one.. all i can say,,,, ' **** your weird ,ain't ya'

sprintflyer

Cadet

Thank you to all that replyed and J B, with all due respect,when I wrote this story it DID have paragraph indentions and so forth so I'm not sure if it is my word pro or this page but it didn't post as it was written.

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I kinda liked the story. Reminds me of the stories at the end of Outdoor Life magazine. Indents don't work on the forum unless format is copied and paste and even then not always.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy SF.<br /><br />My apologies. I didn't realize you had pasted from an incompatible format.<br /><br />It would help the story a lot if you would use the edit function to reinsert space where it is needed.<br /><br />Click on edit and edit it just as though you were using a word processor.<br /><br />I look forward to reading it in original form.

sprintflyer

Cadet

hello friends,<br /> I tryed to edit my story as JB said but when I re-posted it still didn't have the correct spacing or indentions. I am new at computers so it may be somthing I am doing wrong. I will try to make my next story more readable. Thank you all for your replys.<br /><br />sprintflyer

crab bait

Captain

just here tonite,, i typed out a long post & i can never create spacing or paragraphs.. but tonite,, by accident i made a space & don't know how it happened

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class

The story's pretty good, and as for the paragraph thing, just hit the return/enter button like this<br /><br />See. <br /><br />That's the easist way I know of to start a new paragraph.

crab bait

Captain

ok i will<br />ok i will.. hey thanks .. hey thanks<br /> <br /> this really works.. thanks<br /> shaffer.. watch <br />out<br /> iam dangerous <br /><br /> NOW !!

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sprintflyer,<br /><br />Just imagine what William Faulkner could have done if he had started on this post instead of writing with a stubby pencil and a pad of paper. To think that the only thing he got was the Nobel Prize presented by the King of Sweden. <br /><br />With all the help you're getting we expect greater things from you :D <br /><br />p.s. cute story ;)

thornious

Petty Officer 3rd Class

good story :)

sprintflyer

Cadet

I DID IT!!!<br /><br />Just hit return twice to force a line in between paragraphs.

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

hey,<br /><br />yall are right. <br /><br />sometimes my stuff came out like that and sometimes not.<br /><br />but i did not know why.<br /><br />this is kinda fun.<br /><br />now mabey if i can keep it below a novel mabey JB will read a post or two of mine.<br /><br />i'm the worst at writting correctly, and i just can't keep it short sometimes.<br /><br />as far as i have seen if you get a good reply from JB on a story that you have written, thats<br />high praise.<br /><br />no offence JB, i like to get stomped sometimes by a smarter fellow. it makes me try to do better, and selfimprovement is never a bad thing.<br /><br />whats worse is my mother is a 12th grade english teacher.....the shame. :eek: <br /><br />derwood

D

DJ

Derwood,<br /><br />Your stories have never ceased to put a smile on my face. That's worth something to me. :D :D

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tis said that the only way to improve oneself is to hang out with smarter people. That's why I spend so much time reading what folks say on this board. :D

sprintflyer

Cadet

I just hang out with my wife because she knows EVERYTHING!

smalloutboardsarecool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

h<br /><br />i<br /><br />g<br /><br />u<br /><br />y<br /><br />s<br /><br />h<br /><br />o<br /><br />w<br /><br />a<br /><br />r<br /><br />e<br /><br />y<br /><br />o<br /><br />u<br /><br />?