¿¿WD-40??

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Kiwi and Crabbait mentioned WD-40 on the "fishing" thread. I've heard folks swear that it works as a fish attractant althought I haven't tried it. <br /><br />But it brought to mind an occasion when I was a young electrican apprentice back around 1971 and I forgot to wear deoderant to work one muggy August morning in South Georgia. <br /><br />I was training under a Master electrician and he swore by WD-40... had repeatedly that it was good for everthing an electrician would need.<br /><br />Sooooo, When noone was looking I gave it a try -- sprayed a good amount under each arm. Rather than smelling like the north end of a south-bound-mule I smelled like grannies old singer sewing machine the rest of the day. They say necessity is the mother of invention. <br /><br />I'd like to hear from others who've used WD-40 for a non-standard application? But remember this is a family show :D

crab bait

Captain
Re: ¿¿WD-40??

there's a joke in there somewhere.. give me some more time .. i'll find it.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LOL - that's a good one Warhorse. Maybe with a little repackaging it could pass off as the new craze in general purpose deodorant, after-shave, hand cleaner, tooth paste and breath freshener.... I can just see the advertising - "the ALL NEW BATHROOM KIT IN A CAN - women can't resist the smell of a WD40 MAN... " :D

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

I have been using it for two years catfishing and I swear by it. I spray it on cut herring and its amazing. I have noticed a dramatic increase in # of catfish I can reel in in one night. :mad:

bKelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some of the older farmers here sware it helps their arthritis pain in the joints. Just spray it on and let it soak in :eek: I use to work on a farm and it never fails, when you get under a truck of tractor there is a million mosquitos under them. A good fogging of WD40 nocks them down. It seems to help with plastic worms sometimes.<br /><br />I would not reccomend it on the Turkey Mosquitos Derwood. :eek: That requires a 3 1/2" 12ga Shotgun with 00 buckshot. :D

MCCAS

Cadet

Not sure on the WD40, hoever it's good for the plastic worms...try a small chunk of IVORY SOAP on a hook near the bait,it is made of meat fat, as it desolves fish love meat...you know the rest.............

bKelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MCCAS,<br /><br />I have used Ivory Soap on trot-lines for catfish, The blue cats seem to love it. :eek:

Allen Henry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw where hand cleaner was mentioned earlier. WD40 is one of the best hand cleaners out there. It works great on oily or greasy hands. I guess I'll have to try it on my rubber worms and see if the Bass like'em that way.<br /><br />Trp251 :D

one more cast

Captain

I tried WD-40 on my stiff arthritic joints.It didn't help. but it did seem to work as a fish attractant when sprayed on night crawlers.(maybe it just made them wiggle more)

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used it instead of starting fluid to start reluctant outboars, lawnmowers, diesel truck engines and 1964 Pontiacs.<br /><br />A friend that has a computer repair business swears it is one of the best things to clean monitor screens with. And he swears it can't be beat for cleanning everything on a laptop computer.<br /><br />I also have heard that it is good for arthritis.<br /><br />But I also use it for things it was designed for :)

crab bait

Captain

THAT'S FUNNY ,, KIWI..!!!<br />you beat me to the 'punch' ...!!<br />women love the manly muchco smell..<br />actually ,,,I have another use... i wonder if 'NEWT' could use it to fry up some of those'taters'.. think ,KIWI ?

BUCK N DI

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone know if WD-40 would cause monofilament line to deteriate? Fishing salmon & trout on Lake Michigan and this time of year the water fleas are terrible! Last week they were so bad that the sport fisherman and the charter boats were complaining that the fleas built up on the line so bad that the guides on the rodtips would plug up and you couldn't even reel in. Fisherman were having to handline the fish for the last 100' to 200'. <br /><br />I was wondering if spraying WD-40 on the line would prevent the buildup of water fleas?<br /><br />Buck

hdawg

Cadet

Out here in WA we us WD-40 on our bait (for salmon, sturgeon, etc. However, after hours and hours of discussion on why we use it, we have agreed that while it may be a fish attractant it also seems to work as human scent cover. :confused:

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

my wife uses wd40 to pretreat laundry, spray it on the greasy spot and in the washer it goes.it also works good as a bug and tar remover

Skinnywater

Commander

WD40 has been used for Salmon fishing in the river here for years. It was used to spray a kwikfish even over a sardine wrap. <br />One of the ingredients was fish oil so it all made >scents< to me. <br />I've been told they changed the ingredients recently and it doesn't contain fish oil anymore and it isn't as effective.

rwise

Captain

I have used WD-40 on mono~line in the big open face reals to cast further, and many other uses! Man we should have bought stock in them.<br />Richard

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It works great as a tar and bug remover on vehicles. Wifie drove her car up a road that was just tared a few summers ago and got it all down the rocker panels of her new Chev. Blazer. She went to the auto store and bought some brand name stuff that didn't even work. Then someone told her about good ole WD-4O which did the trick for a third of the price. Spray it on and let it soak for 2 min. You can watch the tar dissolve while you wait. Then just wipe it away.<br /><br />"Once you THINK you know EVERYTHING, you STOP knowing ANYTHING"<br />PAkev

ebbtide176

Commander

Whatever you do, do not use it for eyedrops!<br />Once I was up b4 dawn preparing to hit the woods for deer hunting, had my dufflebag open on the tailgate, digging around for cartridges, cover scent, netting,etc. It was one of those mornings when you didn't get enough sleep and no stores were open for coffee, and my eyes needed propped open with toothpicks.<br />So I noticed some visine in the bag, thought hey! this might make my eyes feel better and wake me up a little.... so I put a few drops in one eye, had put about 2 in the other eye- when it felt like hot molten tar was in them!! <br />I had forgotten when back a few seasons I'd thought myself clever to save space by putting some WD-40 into the visine bottle to carry in my pocket for wet hunting days, to put on the gun...<br />After going blind for @ 15mins, and tossing some water in my eyes I was able to see again.
banghead.gif

Fishbusters

Ensign

ALWAYS remove old labels and use a marker to write what you put into the bottle. I had a friend staying with me for a while that found out the hard way I put things in bottles that are not what was in it originally. I was trying something new for deer hunting. I had cleaned out an old nose spray bottle and filled it with doe scent. I had the idea I could use it as a misting spray while I was in the stand and it would carry over a longer distance. It did not work because it spread the scent out too much. What do you expect I was young and stupid. Anyway my friend wanted some nose spray and seeing the bottle decided to spray some up his nose. One spray and I don't think he has ever touched anything else of mine w/o asking and then he looks as if he was walking through a minefield.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ROTFLMAO... I bet it took him days to get the scent out of his nose. It probably burned too.