Sunblock - fish repellant?

USS Neversail

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was fishing off a pier in Florida once and was told by one of the locals that sunblock is a fish repellant. Any truth to this? :confused: <br />I know there are spray on fish attractants (for your lures), so I wonder if sunblock (or mosquito repellant, too) drives 'em away. <br /><br />Thanks for any stories, theories, opinions or guesses. :p <br /><br />Jason

derwood

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sunblock - fish repellant?

I could'nt tell ya because i don't wear sunblock. I live in Fl. and i don't burn to much anymore.<br /><br />I would say that anything not natural would make a fish spooky. That goes for touch, site and smell. Site i would say is the most forgiving one.....Oh the crap i have thrown out and caught fish.<br /><br />Touch is a factor in the nippers.<br /><br />Smell is an important one i would think. Alot of fish find their food by smell and vibrations. The right smell will attract fish....so i would think the wroung one would make them spooky and less likely to take a bait with this smell on it.<br /><br />Ask Crabbait if he caught more fish with the front of his shirt than the armpit part....the answer to that aught to be entertaining and informitive (old post).<br /><br />You could test out the theory.....go fishen and when you get in a spot where your catchen fish Get a fishen buddy to get something for you on the other side of the boat and when his back is turned swab his bait in some bullfrog. :D <br /><br />Better for you if this is a secreat test! :eek: <br /><br />If it does'nt have any effect you will know the answer....If it scares the fish away from his bait you will know the answer and get the braggen rights as the man with the most fish! ;) <br /><br />you can call it "Mike Tyson style gung fu" (old joke) :D <br /><br />Instagatorwood.

pmueller

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My dad and I were fishing with a guide in Florida (Snook) and he asked us not to touch the bait after we put on sunblock...can't remember if it was bad for the minnows, or a repellant to the snook...fine, let him bait the hook.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you use sunblock down here (which is a must in summer) then you apply it with the back of your hands. Touch the reel, line or bait with this stuff and kiss goodbye to the fishing. I know, I've done it!<br />I carry a roll on type sunblock which doesn't get on my hands and the problem is solved.<br />This also goes for grease, oil, fuel etc unless you can wash it off very well.<br />Since we're on the subject there is an old saying about sharks liver. Get this on the gear and forget about the fishing for the day, likewise blind eels.<br />Ross

spzhang

Recruit

Just share my experience with you. Last weekend I joint an open party sportfishing boat in Long Beach, California. In the morning it's overcast and I didn't use any sunblock. I cought a lot of fish :) . After 1:00pm the sun came out so I put sunblock on my hand and rub to my face and arms. After that I cought no fish :( . <br /><br />After reading your message I guess I got the reason. Next time I'll put on sunblock before leaving home and I'll clean thoroughly my two hands then tough the tackles.<br /><br />Stanley

sloopy

Commander

skin cancer= death or no fishing<br />no fish= a good day fishing!

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

My .02c use sun block always. I just had some spots removed from various skin areas. Make sure you wash you'r hands prior to handling the tackle.

sandy

Seaman Apprentice

According to Berkley (Who I have NO respect for), attractants don't attract fish, they keep the bait in the fish's mouth longer for obvious reasons. As far as sunblock goes, most guides tell you to rinse it off your hands before handling your lures or bait. Keep in mind, no sunblock = Melanoma, no matter how dark your skin is. Thanks

marty_scher

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are also some very good spray-on sunblocks that work quite well and they spare you from that dreaded - <br /><br />"OK, now I have greasy sunblock all over my hands, now what do I do" syndrome. <br /><br />You no longer have to wipe your hands on your pants ;)

USS Neversail

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the info, folks. <br />I had a carcinoma removed also and was worried about how to fish and keep the sun off. <br /><br />Makes sense to apply and then wash and THEN fish. Thanks, again,<br /><br />Jason

sloopy

Commander

they should make sunscreen that applys like dioderent! on a stick (they do!)I thought of it FIRST~!

Fishbusters

Ensign

I avoid anything sunblock, oil, gas, tobacco, you name it. At least getting the smell on my hands. And for those times when it is unavoidable I thoroughly wash my hands with Ivory unscented soap. I have even gone so far as to use rubber gloves to bait up with because of transfering unavoidable smells from my hands. I believe in using fish formulas as much as hunters do using a cover scent. Not to attract but to conceal my odors or any not natural odors on my artificial bait.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Interesting theory guys - I might have learnt something valuable here... <br /><br />Living in NZ (which has about the highest sunlight & UV levels in the world) and me having white skin, I always wear a heavy layer of sunblock when boating (otherwise I'd be committing slow suicide). Maybe this is why my fish always seem few and far between...?<br /><br />I've often heard people say fishing is best in the evenings or early mornings, when there's low light levels. Maybe "no sunblock" is a factor there?

crab bait

Captain

so i guess the 'WD-40 ' theory knocks a hole in that theory.. <br /><br />HOW-THE-HECK-ARE-YOU ,,, KIWI...haven't seen you in awhile... don't make yourself so few & far between.... hows the weather down there now... is winters about over ..??

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Crab, yes we've had a few gaps in the bad weather and I did get out fishing with my father and sunblock the other day (only caught small ones which we had to throw back). However it was a good experience... and that brief spell on the water has brought me "back to life" and back onto the iboats board. It's good to see you and the other guys are still going strong.<br /><br />I'm also relieved to see that you guys have apparently not personally been drafted into the US armed forces to do battle with that mean ol Saddam character... From what I see in the news, it looks like a sure thing now... However - I digress...<br /><br />WD-40 theory ?? Crab - I know that WD-40 is very versatile, but don't tell me you're using it as sunblock...? :confused:

USS Neversail

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't get drafted! I enlisted! I'm ready to take on So-dam-insane (aka - Saddam Hussein) AGAIN and Osama, too! <br /><br />Fired Up over all this. Don't like those idiots messin with MY country.<br /><br />Sorry, just had to interject that when I heard the draft talk . . . <br /><br />Jason <br />US Navy, Hospital Corpsman

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good on you Jason - it's a job that has to be done and you guys are doing the whole world a favour.

USS Neversail

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you. I just wish we had finished the job the first time with Saddam. I guess they had their reasons. <br /><br />Take care,<br /><br />Jason

crab bait

Captain

glad to see you commin' out of your winter dulldrums... still no reason not to stop by now-an-then... heck ,you guys that can hop on at work,,, heck ,it's paid IBOATS for that matter... <br /><br />i can imagine if you wear sunblock all the time ... an not catch fish.. an didn't know.. then there's your lays problem..<br /><br />that's a funny comment about wd-40 as a sunblock...<br /><br />no,, what i'm referrin' to is ... alot of guys use wd-40 as a spray on fish attractant.... people swear by it...plus it quites noisey runnin' spinnerbaits.. i reckon... <br /><br />pres. bush is doin' what he said from the jump... goin' after terroist were may they be..<br /><br />prayers be with the fightin' forces.. it's a long & costly but nessisary fight..

gonfishn

Commander

Howdy Jason.<br /> I Too was a Corpsman attached to the First Marines in the 60s. Sure hope thay finish what they start this time. I Spent all my time with the grunts who treated their docs like their was no tommorrow. Alot has changed between then and now. Coming back then wasn't exactly a welcome committee greeting. It makes me proud to see how every one is together on this one.