Live Well

chesire_catt

Cadet
I want to build a small live well under one of the seats. The previous owner had a small water tank, for fresh water, under the seat with hooked up to a small pump and a kitchen faucet sprayer. I am thinking I can cut the top and use it it is 12-15 gallon or so. I guess my question is what do i need to do? I mean do I pump water in or just recirculate whats in there? thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Live Well

Howdy, Catt.<br /><br />Best to pump fresh water in and let overflow go overboard. :)

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

What JB said. I am about to do the same thing to the shade tree speical (my boat).<br /><br /> I just have to figure out weather or not to pump the water in or out......I think in would be best.<br /><br /> Just remember to put a plugs in the ports or it will drain out while your on plane.<br /><br />Derwood.

chesire_catt

Cadet

Thanks but how do I flow the water out? I dont think I want to let it overflow into the bilge. do I need another pump?

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

If your going to have a line in and a line out you don't want the flow comming in to be a very strong one....White bait, greenbacks and sardines are delicate fish and are served best live. To strong a water flow will make the bait have to fight to stay in place and stress them out....then they start to float :eek: <br /><br />If your inflow is not fast your outflow will take care of itself as long as it has the volume to do so.<br /><br />Good that your bait well will be round. They are supposed to be the best shape for delicate bait. I guess the thing is you want the flow to be twoards the side to make a circular currant....gently....so they can school up and relax while the water flows around them.<br /><br />If you go to a bubble system try this: on the side of your well put a little plastic ledge for about 10" around the side angled upward (what ever looks like the best pitch)....then put your areator just under the edge at the bottom. That will make a circular flow in the well that will not be fast. and as a rule: the smaller the bubbles the better....they will greatly increase the amount of oxegen transfered into the water.<br /><br />Any other advice Gents....There is always more than one way to scale a fish (skin a cat...whatever) :D <br /><br />derwood.

chesire_catt

Cadet

Thanks derwood But what do you mean my outflow will take care of itself? I really dont want to have another pump so I really just want one line. I guess I just let it overflow into the bilge? amd my tank is square but I guess I can round the corners. the top will not be sealed tight since I am going to cut the top off of a square tank

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A couple of things. <br /><br />The outflow/overflow is usually just piped overboard. You can use PVC/hose etc. Most livewells/bait tanks are high enough for this to work. <br /><br />Also make sure that some air circulates over the top of the tank. You can bubble all the water you want but you have to get rid of the carbon dioxide. Even if you are bringing air from the outside in with the airator the CO will settle on the water surface of the tank. No good. Fish are like people, if there is CO in the area their blood will absorbe it before it will absorb O2. (Many of the serious fisherman around here are using an oxygen bottle system to keep the bait alive).<br /><br />My live well/ bait tank has drain pipe that goes from the bottom of the tank to exit out the back. This is kept plugged while the boat is in the water. The live well/ bait tank isw under the center console seats, and it is 30X48 inches with well rounded corners and holds about 50 gallons of water. (I lost the storage under the seats, but it is worth it.)<br /><br />The live well/ bait tank was made from a livestock water tank. A low capicity pump (not a bilge pump) pipes water in where it comes out of a hose with holes in it that goes around the top of the tank. This causes the water to gently circulate. The excess goes out through another pipe that goes thru the hull and exits on the port side next to the fuel tank fill overflow. To completely empty the tank I have a small bilge pump in the bottom of the tank that is connected to the outflow with a "Y" fitting. This really needs a valve as some of the water flows back into the tank, but it does empty the tank evientually.<br /><br />I have had bait (Menhadden, small Bluefish, mullet, etc.) stay alive over 18 hours in this tank. Sooner or later I will get around to adding some more lip or baffels around the top of the tank as some water does splash out onto the deck. <br /><br />I don't see the need to add an oxygen system. Maybe I will if I can ever afford the full entry fee into the "Big Rock, Blue Marlin Tournament". Heck, while I am dreaming I might as well dream about winning it and taking home $500,000.00 or so, in change. :D

chesire_catt

Cadet

Thanks Red- ok so if I run an overflow hose it will push itself out? what would the height max on the hose have to be? my tank is small only 12 gal but i don't do too much fishing just want to be able to hold a few hours worth of greenies or finger mullet. Tank is about 18x24 or so just a guess What I was thinking about doing was cutting the top off and holding on with a hinge of some sort. probably nylon zip-strips. then I would pump the water in from over the side (I dont want to put anyu more holes in the boat than i need to) I guess I will try a hose at the fill line and see if I get it to drain or if it over flows. I guessing it will overflow. I like the I like the idea of using a hose with alot of small holes for the incoming water. Thanks I will be working on this as soon as it stops raining

chesire_catt

Cadet

I just tested the pump It pumps 1.5 gal per min. I can adjust that down by making the inlet smaller. I used the top from a tube of silicon. I had one about a gallon per min and one just above a trickle obviously I could make it more. What do you recomend?<br /> Thanks again for the help.