Throw Back The Big Fish!!!!!

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer
Well I saw this article on Yahoo and just couldn't resist. I don't know about thowing back all the big fish but maybe a few from every days catch.<br /> :mad: <br />Study: Throw Back the Big Fish <br />Thu Jul 4, 2:14 PM ET <br />By PAUL RECER, AP Science Writer <br /><br />WASHINGTON (AP) - Most fishermen like to catch and keep the big ones and throw the little guys back, but a new study suggests that it's better for the fish species to do exactly the opposite.<br /><br /> <br />In a study in the journal Science, researchers at the Stony Brook University in New York conducted a four-generation laboratory study of fish and found that when the bigger fish are allowed to live, eventually the species may double in size and number.<br /><br />The study, led by David O. Conover, a professor at the Marine Sciences Research Center at Stony Brook, experimented with a species called the Atlantic silverside, a small fish that lives, reproduces and dies within a single year. The silverside is commonly used as bait by sports fishermen in the Northeast.<br /><br />Conover said the experiment started with 1,000 fish in each of three groups. In one group, the scientist harvested the 900 largest fish. In a second group, they took the 900 smallest fish, and in the third group the fish were harvested randomly in size. Then all three groups were allowed to reproduce and the cycle started all over again.<br /><br />In the first year, the largest-harvested group produced the most weight or biomass, while the smallest-harvested group produced the least.<br /><br />But after that, the biomass production roles reversed. Conover said that in each succeeding generation, the group from which the smallest 90 percent were harvested began to produce more and bigger fish than the other groups. The randomly harvested group did not change in size.<br /><br />"In the small-harvested group, the average survivor evolves to a bigger size and their reproductive output is twice that of the survivors in the large-harvested group," said Conover.<br /><br />The scientist said the experiment shows that a management plan that limits the catch to only the bigger fish — a common practice for many sports species — is actually harming the fishery in the long run.<br /><br />The reason, said Conover, is "evolutionary dynamics" — the effect of genetic selection.<br /><br />He said that when only the big fish are harvested, it leaves behind the smallest to reproduce. Over time, this tends to make the survival genetics favor small size and the species actually get smaller in succeeding generations.<br /><br />However, when only the smaller fish are harvested, then the survivors are bigger and tend to produce offspring that are also bigger.<br /><br />After four generations of the experiment, average weight of spawning fish in the large-harvested group was 1.05 grams (.03 ounces), while the average size of the spawners in the small-harvested line was 6.47 grams (.22 ounces).<br /><br />Conover said this principal should apply to most free-swimming harvested fish.<br /><br />Another fish expert, however, said the Conover experiment is too limited to suggest changes in fish species management practices.<br /><br />"All they have done is show that growth rates are heritable," Ray Hilborn of the University of Washington, Seattle, said in statement to Science. "What they haven't done is see what the impact of this would be on a realistic fishery."

Fishbusters

Ensign
Re: Throw Back The Big Fish!!!!!

This has been a long well known fact for a while. Case in point the size limits on Spotail bass/chanel bass/redfish. I for one release all big fish with the exception of a few species. Panfish being the most noticable of those because I feel there are enough of them to be able to harvest what I wish to keep w/o hurting the population. However I use restraint when keeping any fish only taking what I intend to use even if i put a few in the freezer for a rainy day.

driftwood47

Seaman Apprentice

On throwing back the big ones-Unless it is something I am going to keep and eat, I throw all of them back. Something my son taught me though is to take pliers and flatten the barb on the hooks. It makes it a lot easier to roll the hook back out of the fishes mouth without tearing up the fish. I don't see any point in maiming the fish and then tossing it back.<br />The barb-less hook seems to work as well as the regular ones do.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yup. Except Bluegills, Yellow Perch, White Bass and Crappies. With those, keep all that are big enough to filet. . .up to the number you can use, legally.<br /><br />Black Basses and Esox, release 'em all.<br /><br />Catfishes, Walleye, Sauger and Saugeye: small ones are tastiest. Keep a couple under 18". Release all the rest.<br /><br />"Catch and Release" is responsible for the fact that fresh water fishing is better than it has ever been. :) :)

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree - it's not ethical to keep fish you don't use, regardless of the size. Before I throw a decent sized one back I'll always photograph it - just for the record... <br /><br />Like PFB, I only keep what I can use. Good subject.

crab bait

Captain

every cottonpickin' time i bring a camera with me.... it's like the ' kiss of death' i'll get skunked for sure...

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

truer words were never spoke craby. i bring a camra fishing ,its a guarentee that every fish for 200 miles has been notified that i am comming a week in advance, with a complete discription of my boat and what i will be wearing!<br /><br />i don't keep the big ones either. with the slot limits in place for reds if you catch a keeper its a nice fish anyway so its no big deal.<br /><br />thats what slot limits are for. for most fish it works well.....but i don't know what i would do if i caught a fifty + lb. snook! I mean to say that there is a slot limit for snook like many other fish, but i have been fishing for a monster for a long time to put on the wall (a hell of alot longer that there has been a slot limit for sure) and i only want one....just one.<br /><br /> its my white whale...." if my chest were a cannon, i would shoot my heart upon it." yall just don't know how bad i've got it for this fish. i have caught lots of them over the slot limit, and i always toss'em back, but a fifty pounder......<br /><br />anyway, i agree with the slot limits and for the most part (as far as i can tell) they are doing a great job.<br /><br /> i happen to think that the smaller size fish among the spotted sea trout are better anyway because the larger fish seem to get wormy, while the smaller (15" to 18") trout don't have many worms at all.<br /><br />i can only speak of saltwater fish in FL waters. i don't keep to many fresh water fish anymore. the drought here is haveing its own effect on the freashwater speices (in my neck of the woods).<br /><br />oh well, i'll keep what i will eat and toss the biguns back....without proof (darn camras). i can't say for sure what i will do about that 50lb snook.....may have to go "billy the kid" for a one time only showcase showdown.<br /><br />derwood.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Guys....throwing back a decent sized fish....no camera on board..... Hmmm :rolleyes: - sounds like all the ingredients for a good ole fishing story to me. ;) <br /><br />Lord give me the luck to catch a fish,<br />So big that even I,<br />When talking of it afterwards,<br />May have no need to lie.

crab bait

Captain

WELL,YEAH..!! DAH !! if i had proof with a picture camera.... then they'd be alot smaller then i SAID they were ....

Fishbusters

Ensign

Well I never take a camera it would be sudden death for the camera. I tend to catch good sized fish and don't realy care if people believe me or not and in point of actual fact rarely do I tell anyone but my wife exactly how good I did. I don't fish to prove I am a better fisherman than someone else. I don't fish to prove how much a man I am. I don't fish to inflate my ego. I fish because I enjoy it. I have nothing to prove and would go even if I caught 3" minnows. If I were ever pressed into a corner I do have a few pictures but better than that I have more than a few folks that can and will tell you "He is the best fisherman I know." "If you want to know how to catch them ask Peter." As well as other phrases. I have never asked anyone to back me up it just happens.<br />If the fishing gods were treating me like the engine gods are now I would be tempted to take up golf.

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

Peter....get a pin. Hell, you can borrow mine. :D :p :D <br /><br />The picture i have of the fish that i have caught i don't show to anybody....if i did i would have to include a derwood freindly conversion table for weights and lengths. (as they are not the same as normal US measurments.....ssstttrrrreeeaaacccchhhhh).<br /><br />derwood.

I personally have no problem in releasing the big ones. In fact for the last little bit, they have been releasing themselves half way through realing them in. LOL!!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

especially here in upstate NY where we have a<br />problem with Comerants (sp? it's a bird) have<br />begun coming inland to the great lakes and eating<br />a lot of young bass. they say it's due to mild <br />winters in last several years. these birds were <br />always coastal birds and are not a normal pretador<br />for the bass.....<br />PLEASE CATCH AND RELEASE BASS UP HERE!<br />I want to go bass fishing with my 3yr old and<br />his son some day, god willing :D

Skinnywater

Commander

I carry a camera in the tackle box also.<br />Species like Salmon are in the river to die soon and I'll keep them. All originated at the hatcheries anyhow (we Western sportfisherpeople subsidize the Japanese salmon fishery).<br /><br />For the same reasons your post mentions we have deer that will never get past the fork horn stage of antler development.<br /><br />This is even more interesting. Usually the Rattlesnakes that rattle get killed. The ones that don't are less likely to be detected and less likely to get killed. Science has discovered that the Rallesnakes are less likely to rattle these days..through genetics.

one more cast

Captain

I release the big ones and only keep a few smaller ones, if you hold the fish out closer to the camera it will look bigger. :D