bass fishimg on the fly

DTB

Cadet
I'm heading out to bass fish for the first time and was wondering if anyone has any fly patterns they have found successful any info is much appreciated :cool:

ebbtide176

Commander
Re: bass fishimg on the fly

in the latest article "The World According to PeterFishBuster" it would be the ......<br /><br />Muddler Minnow<br /><br />(i bought one, it looks pretty convincing too) :D <br /><br />its a joke!! the name of the article, that is. but PFB purports this fly werx on bass, and i did buy one last time at the store, just haven't tried it yet. just 'buggin' PFB ;)

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

poppers work well for me, and if you can still find someone that makes them the frog patterns also work well. peters idea sounds like a good idea. i like to use things that will mimic live bait as close as posible, dose'nt explain the poppers but they seem to work. you could also try a salt water fly that i have seen that mimics a pinfish. they look like they will fool a few fish and from what i have heard they don't soak up water eather. they are made with some kind of shredded stuff that looks like its transparent pearl colored. i caught four 2lb bass this mornin on a yellow and black popper on my fly rod. we don't have any trout (freshwater) here in FL so bass and brem are fun targets, and we have the killer saltwater fly rodden going on. i have not caught a tarpon on a fly but i saw one jump last week while i was on the flats. it was as big as i was. i'm almost scared to try. well hope this helps some. :cool: <br />derwood.

DTB

Cadet

thanks for the help I tied up some buctails and muddlers I'll post what was successful Tarpon on the fly would be sweet. I've only seen them on tv but it's definetly on my list. :) :)

I tie flys as a hobbie and created a small baby bass with yolk sack streamer that is very successful for me, due to it being the smallmouth spawning season. If you tie the recipie is as follows.<br />Hook. #12 streamer hook<br />Tail. White duck wing.<br />Body. Olive Chenielle<br />Ribbing. Gold flat and Gold round (counter wrapped)<br />Thorax (yolk sack) orange chennielle.<br />Wings. Green and red bucktail.<br /><br />Good luck with this fly! It has priduced a few monster smallmouth for me. (no bigmouths in my neck of the woods.)

DTB

Cadet

Thanks alot for the pattern Phil I'll be hittin the bench :D :D

Fishbusters

Ensign

You sound as if you would know better than I would. I have caught bass on the muddlers as mentioned above and popping bugs. I have not actually tried to target bass specifically on the fly rod but when bream fishing have picked up several. I hear some fellows use a rabbit strip fly that looks and acts like a plastic worm you may want to see if you can figure out how to tie them and try it. I think you have a lot more paitence than I do to be tying flies as of yet I am still buying them.

DTB

Cadet

well we had a pretty successful trip nine bass an d bunch of perch on muddlers, wolley, buggers, bucktails ond even a few on a dry fly. again thanks for the tips. :D