Choosing a Fish/Depth finder

Lyco

Cadet
I´m looking for a Fish/Depth Finder in the $300.- to $500.- price range. My problem: l don´t know which one to choose because this would be my first time to use such a device. I was thingking on the HUMMINBIRD FISHFINDER WIDE 2000. May somebody shed some light on this, please? I need 1000' and temp. capability. Thanks in advance.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Choosing a Fish/Depth finder

Howdy, Lyco.<br /><br />I would avoid Humminbirds. I have had two and neither performed well. Also 100% of the complaints about non-performing sonars here have been Humminbirds.<br /><br />I have had very good results with Eagle and Lowrance sonars. I currently have an X65 on one boat and an X85 on the other.<br /><br />For your stated needs I recommend the X85. :)

crab bait

Captain

hi lyco, i have a ZERCOM liquid graph charter .. it paints a picture of the bottom also has a REAL TIME flasher. has independent knobs for everything so as not push button flip-thru menu. has speed & temp. zercom sold out to hummingbird as of late ..... it's the legend series now..

Lyco

Cadet

Thanks a lot, JB and Crabbait.- Both you saved my wallet. You got l stay away from HUMMINBIRD fishfinders. I´ll go thru FURUNO or Lawrance.

Lyco

Cadet

Hi, EVERYBODY.- To anybody who know the LOWRANCE´s<br />Fishfinders: I´m going to buy a LOWRANCE ff, maybe the X-85 or the X-91. Questions: real diferences? price for each one? Dealer in Florida?<br />Thanks again for your help, l appreciate it so much.

Xenos

Seaman Apprentice

If you find a X85 it's old stock, this unit has been replaced by the X91 new this year.

diamondl

Cadet

good choice on the lowrance. I have owned an x70a. then upgraded to the x85, and if ever needed would upgrade to the next lowrance. I have had one for 12 yrs now and I am very pleased with lowrance. good depth coverage and locate fish very well.

Darryl

Cadet

OK, lots of information on sonars. I think that I may have narrowed it down a little. I think that I may wish to buy the Eagle trifinder, a 3 beam unit. Where is the least expensive to buy one. Have no problem buying it on-line as there are not too many stores around here that sell them.<br /><br />Thanks, Darryl

crab bait

Captain

i just wanted to say that all because zercom sold out to hummingbird,, that doesn't make it a bad thing.. i'm sure it's built the same.... i guess

Darryl

Cadet

It depends on what Walmart you go to. The one around here doesn't have that one. wish that they did.<br /><br />Darryl