choosing a depth finder

texas_angler_2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,<br /> i am fixing to buy a depth finder and i wonder what brand to buy and the best one for my money. ok the scerino, i am going to spend about 200 bucks agood one but i need to know what is the best brand to buy . i am want ing a good oner that will work at low seeds and high speeds and show structure and the temp. real well. thanx for all the people that respnd to my question.

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: choosing a depth finder

I would take a look at the Garmin 160 or the Lowrance X-51 for starters in that price range. The Garmin has been around awhile and the X-51 is new this year.

bowriderbob

Cadet

Nathan,<br /><br />Would you care to elaborate on why not purchasing a Humminbird model ?<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />Bowriderbob

Fishbusters

Ensign

Garmin, Lorance and Eagle all make good ones I hate hummingbirds don't ask why but think of them like I do Motor Guide trolling motors I will NEVER have another one of either.<br />Actually I will tell you why Lorance and Eagle are the same folks and thier products have stood up much better than Hummingbird products for everyone I know. Personally I killed 2 Hummingbirds but only 1 Eagle and the Eagle was well over 5 years old the Hummingbirds under 6 months. I also had a Minn Kota for 10 years hard stump knocking labour and killed 3 motor guides in 6 months before asking for a refund. Got another Minn Kota and have had it for 4 years now.

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Eagle FishEasy II, great readings at any speed, temp, $155

Xenos

Seaman Apprentice

Purchase the unit with the most vertical pixels you can afford.

Xenos

Seaman Apprentice

Preferably Garmin or Lowrance

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take a few minutes and read the historic comments on fishfinders in boating, fishing, and in the motors pages... lots of good advice over the past few months and nobody recommends Hummingbird... Read-on and you can't go wrong if you follow the advice posted on this board. Like you I was looking for something in the $200 range but after studying everthing I decided to go for more pixels and raised my limit to $300 and went for the Garmin 240... I very happy with it!

Lyco

Cadet

Warhorse.- Just a few minuts ago l did place an order for one GARMIN 240 BLUE, because l think, like you, that too much people can´t be wrong on.<br />So, go to GARMIN 240 BLUE, Texas_Angler_2002 :D

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced a humminbrid with a Garmin 160. There is no comparison, the Garmin blew it away.<br /><br />Also, I have replaced Motorguide with Minn Kota. The difference is night and day.<br /><br />When trying to save money you get what you pay for. Spend a little more and get your money's worth... :D

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you fish saltwater, stay away from the hummingbird. The only exception is the Legend model, which was originally Zercom. Very good unit. For a low price fishfinder, go with the EAgle (Lowrance). If you want a serious unit, go with Furuno.