I like catching

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Salmon Downtown Sacramento<br /><br />
BigSalmonJune2001.JPG
<br /><br />Too bad it was amonth early for the season and had to throw it back.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: I like catching

Good googly moogly!!!!!<br />I woulda had a tear in my eye if I had to throw that one back. But he'll be there to catch another day, i guess.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Oh Lordy lordy, Yepblaze!!! What a lovely creature. Hope she's there for you when the season opens.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

paintermn

Seaman

Boy Howdy! Nice fish Yepblaze. I must be stupid, but is it at all common to catch fish like that where you did?

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Large fish like this one are actually quite common during "the run" although most will be from 12 to 20 lbs.<br /><br />Thing about salmon is that they are spawned in hatcheries due to dam placement on the rivers where they may have had, or one time had spawning grounds. <br /><br />They are then released into the system and find their way out to the ocean to grow up. <br /><br />After about 2-4 years they get some signal that tells them it's time to head back upriver to where they were hatched and might swim hundreds of miles on a scent track back up river to spawn and die. <br /><br />The season lasts 4-5 months as they enter the system in the thousands to reach the various hatcheries.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Check this out. This is now number 13 or 14 this season, I'm starting to lose count. The relitives and neighbors sure get friendly around this time of year.<br /><br />
candiedsalmon.JPG

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Oh yeah! Once that aroma start through the neighborhood.......watch out. Sounds like an excellent recipe (we often use alder wood instead of apple up here). :D <br />Backlash