New to SW fishing

Fishing rookie

Recruit
I've been fishing fresh water all my life and just recently got a boat down the Jersey shore. I'm totally new to salt water fishing and need to know if anyone can get me up to speed with what works on salt water fish (books, tips, websites) in the Raritan Bay, NJ, since they aren't interested in anything that used to work for me on Lake Hopatcong. <br /><br />------------------<br />There is no replacement, <br />for displacement!

Fenix189

Cadet
Re: New to SW fishing

Raritan Bay is rich with many different species-each with "normal" locations and habits. Fluke are great 'til Blues move in..stay low on long leader for Fluke... higher up with wire leaders for blues, etc.. on anything, but esp. surgical tubes when they're the only game in town. Stripers are fussy--watch for the Menhadden (bunker bait) to jump and you'll nail 'em on clams and/or sandworms. Weakfish are back, etc, etc. I'm no expert. Fred's Tackle shop has good hangers-on but remember, most "sold" stuff is designed to catch fishermen, not fish, eh? Most of all...stay out there and follow the pooled boats 'til you get a taste. :> ))

nickantanies

Cadet
Re: New to SW fishing

I have moved my boat from southern jersey to northern for the winter. The raritan river is quickly becomming my second favorite spot besides the great bay,near egg harbor inlet. After trying weeked after weekend I finally hooked my firsy striper and it was massive. It measured almonst 40 inches. And I didn't even have to go out of the River. I caught it near one of the old wooden railways. Using storm shad!!! The only problem was i only had 3 in my bag, once they were gone I didn't get any bits the rest of the day!! Thanks , let me know if you have any good spots.<br />nick a