Boating with infant-->Cuddy or bowrider w/bimini?

amartin_25

Cadet
All-<br /><br />My wife grew up boating on Lake Michigan with her dad and has fond memories of weekends spent cruising in the SeaRay and playing on the beaches around Chicago. Now that we've started our own family (our daughter is 3 months old) she wants to continue the family tradition. She's used to a 34 footer but I've managed to talk her down to 21'-22' as this will be our first boat. We anticipate our boating being a mix of light cruising/beaching on Lake Michigan (near South Haven, Saugatuck, etc.) and tubing/skiing on inland lakes in southwest Michigan.<br /><br />My question is this...go with a cuddy to have the cabin as a shady haven for our daughter or opt for the bowrider to maximize space for family and friends? The bowrider will have a bimini top to offer some shade.<br /><br />Thanks for all your input.

boater56

Cadet
Re: Boating with infant-->Cuddy or bowrider w/bimini?

Hi. We have a 21 foot cuddy cabin. Two kids, 14 and 7. After tubing/skiing/cruising for a few hours in the morning, we usually eat lunch. The kids (and wife) almost always end up taking a nap in the cabin after lunch. Then its more skiing. On the way back to the dock, the kids usually fall asleep in the cuddy cabin again. We live in Texas and it gets hot on the lake. Any relief from the sun is welcome. Having the cuddy cabin and an 8 foot bimini top lets us stay out pretty much all day if we want. When we anchor, we open the top hatch and leave the cabin door open. The cabin stays fairly cool. All that being said, most of the boats on area lakes here are bowriders or bass boats. Not many cuddy cabins. We had a small bowrider. It was easier to pull and more fun to drive. They both have their advantages.

amartin_25

Cadet

Boater56-<br /><br />If you want to have others join you and your family on your 21' what is a reasonable # of adults before everyone is stepping over one another?

anyfishlldo

Seaman

I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 week old, 19 foot cuddy works great for us. Of course it doesn't get too hot here in Colorado but having a place to hide from the sun and sudden rainstorms is nice. Mine will comfortably seat 6 adults in the cockpit as long as you're not fishing (4 max with poles) and I can't imagine wanting more people than that on my boat anyway. In addition it makes for great camping with two in the cabin (and two in the cockpit folders when the kids are bigger). And if you look at it from a pure cubic feet standpoint I most definitely have more space up front than a bowrider that is completely sheltered too. I can easily seat 4 adults in the cabin, four in the bow on a bowrider that size is usually pretty tight.<br /><br />I am definitely a enclosed cabin type guy but it's all about preference and use.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Another one for kids and cuddies here. The kids love the cuddy when they are tired and/or hot.

boater56

Cadet

4 maybe 5 adults plus two kids. If everyone sits in the back, it makes the bow come up a little. Takes longer to get on plane. My kids don't mind riding in cabin though. I've got the 5.0L V8 220 hp mercruiser. I'd opt for a bigger engine but the price was too good and we've been happy with it. OT maybe but there's a good photo of a Chaparral Sunesta 247 deckboat on page 70 of the June issue of "Go Boating" magazine. It shows 8 adults seated in the cockpit. That's lot of people!

michael-lagrange

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think its great that you are giving this much thought, also think about safety and a sturdy sea worhty craft.<br />I hope your little one will enjoy it as i know you will.

amartin_25

Cadet

All-<br /><br />Many thanks for the input, and keep it coming for others who have $0.02 to offer. <br /><br />I'm watching online ads for newer, not new, Regals, Four Winns, SeaRays, and Crownlines with Volvo power @ 250hp+. Great point about safety and seaworthiness...I fully intend to have my father-in-law heavily involved with any potential purchases as he has a ton of experience with boat structures and mechanicals. (and a great guy to boot, quite a find in a FIL)<br /><br />Thanks again for the input. I want to do what I can upfront to position my family for safe and fun boating.<br /><br />Cheers.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cuddy cabins are nice when it gets cold or wet too. Having the opportunity to shelter inside makes us less reliant on the weather staying nice.

Always Broke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go for the cuddy for the sake of your family. I owned both while my kids were growing up and the most important advantage I’ve found in a cuddy is the toilet LOL. If your worried about space for your friends just ask them if they are going to help make the payments and it will help you make up your mind :D Personally I like to buy American made products as far as Volvo’s go, our economy sucks as it is.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"Personally I like to buy American made products as far as Volvo’s go, our economy sucks as it is."<br /><br />...I was told by a guy at the local dealer that Volvo inboard gasoline engines and several of the sterndrive models are in fact made in the USA.

TilliamWe

Banned

In a perfect scenario, you'd have a cruiser with a generator and A/C. But short of that:<br /><br />Cuddy with the bimini up all the time. I have an 11 month old son, and if I had owned a bowrider, I would have sold it, to get the cuddy. Now in the future, I'll get a cruiser (with the A/C I mentioned), and then a little bowrider or something else "fun", when he's old enough to enjoy that.

Always Broke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stevens,<br /><br /> A lot of foreign cars, boat motors, etc… are made in this country however, the parts all come from the country of origin. Maybe it’s just a few bucks, I’m in no way an economist or know all that much about it. Sometimes you just can’t get away from buying foreign products to get what you want. I even go as far as to try and buy products in my local area rather then go out of town to save a few bucks to try and keep the local economy strong. I’m just one guy trying to save the old US of A. It ain’t working so far but I’m not giving up ;)

NoWorries

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I guess I'll try to wreck the strong cuddy vote. I vote for a bowrider.... and that's what I have with two kids, age 2 and 3. I toyed with the decision of a cuddy or bowrider myself before settling on an open bow 22 footer. If I had planned to slip it and never beach, I would have definatly chose a cuddy.<br /><br />My reasoning was camping and shoreline beaching. We don't stay on the boat all day, and often beach to rest in shaded shoreline and swim. I didn't like the idea of climbing around on the deck of a cuddy trying to get the kids on and off the boat from shore. And due to the depth of one of my local lakes, coming off the back and walking around is not an option. With the keel resting at the shores edge, the swim platform can be in 8 to 15 feet of water.<br /><br />On another note, I have a full bow cover, and bow filler cushions that makes a nice little area for the kids to rest. Also, I don't have a standard bimini. My top snaps to the winshield and comes up and back from there. With the bow cover, or the cover from the center winshield down into the bow walkway, and this top, there is very little wind even at 60 mph. This works great when the temps get cool and we need to keep the wind off the kids.<br /><br />My boat is rated for 9 passenger and has had 6 adults and two children and we still had room to move around. A cuddy might not be as roomy for entertainging friends or family.<br /><br />I guess it all depends on how you plan to use the boat. Everyone seems to boat in a different way...so suit your own needs.

Always Broke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Indy, did you consider renting both types of boat? See which one suits your needs best. I know it’s kind of an expensive experiment but those boat payments are never ending unless you’re fortunate enough to have the money laying around to pay cash. It may be a solution to help make such a big decision. You may also ask the places your looking for boats at if they have a test boat similar to the one your interested in to take for a run. A lot of the bigger places where I am at will do that for you. Good Luck!

amartin_25

Cadet

A. Broke-<br /><br />Nice thought about renting to give each a full-day test drive. I'll have to look around to see if that size cuddies are available around for daily rentals. Thanks for the tip.

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We love the cuddy...especially for naps, overnighting and potty breaks. If your quest gets you down our way, and ours isn't sold yet, we can get you out on the water to try it out.<br /> 1802 Trophy <br /> Comfortable Cuddy

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know if you moor or trailer, maybe consider a nice 26ft+ tritoon/v8 power.50mph+ lots of room and shelter to. salt water might be a factor ;)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Wife and I were boating with our infant in the runabout that is in my avatar. We brought the car seat and set it on the floor. Baby had an infant personal flotation device and we did not strap the baby into the carseat, orthe carseat to the boat. Becasue if the boat sinks, we wanted the baby to float!<br /><br />I think the cuddy would be best, gives wind and sun protection, as well as a place for mom and kids to lay down and take a nap.<br /><br />BTW, our infant is now 2 1/2 and he just loves the boat! If he sees me hooking the boat up to the car or truck, he is sure to saying "Dadda, me boat! Dadda, me boat!". If I don't bring him, well, lets just say I better bring him. LOL!

rottenray6402

Ensign

You said you would be boating a lot in Lake Michigan so my vote goes for the cuddy. We boat in Lake Erie, Ontario, and Georgian Bay and after owning a closed bow SeaRay, an open bow Spectrum, an open bow Sylvan, and now a cuddy Crestliner I am much happier with the cuddy. As you know the weather can come up very quickly on the great lakes and with the cuddy I can handle rough water with a lot more confidence. :)