Lake Perris or Salton Sea

familylaw

Cadet
Hi everyone, I am planning on taking the family out this Saturday. Which lake would you guys recommend, Lake Perris or Salton Sea? I live in 29 Palms, and both Lakes are roughly the same distance to me. <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Quinn

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lake Perris or Salton Sea

Well Quinn . . . Big difference. While I have never boated on the Salton Sea, I undestadn it is pretty crappy, extreme;ly high salt content. Kinda stinky and there are no shapes or coves. But again I have never launched there.<br /><br />I have boated on Perris a lot and it is a good place to get the boat wet when you can't take the time to go to the Colorado. I understand the lake is down though due to a dam issue . . .<br /><br /> Lake Perris

MRS

Commander

The salton sea is a totally different place to boat at either you love it or hate it it is like a lake on the moon. My wife will not go back there (hates it) Me love it it can be very dangers the water can go from 20ft. to 6in. and the bottom is like muck that that if you get out of boat you will sink in the muck. The beach is not sand but broken shells and bones very tough on bare feet and the wind can come up fast. If you go just be very carefull if you are planning on swimming or water sking the water looks like chocolate milk. Other than that it is great P.S. most of the time there will be very few boats out there with you so you have to be carefull not a place to learn how to use a boat. ;)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by MRS:<br /> the water can go from 20ft. to 6in... the bottom is like muck... if you get out of boat you will sink in the muck.... beach is not sand but broken shells and bones ... the wind can come up fast... the water looks like chocolate milk... Other than that it is great
Sounds like paradise!

MRS

Commander

It is if your are a true Desert RAT they have the Best Desert Martinees there. It is a totally different place on the face of this earth if you do not like the desert do not go there...... Have you heard of slap city it is there to free camping no hook-ups no anything just cool folk hanging out enjoying company and the desert. ;) :D :cool: