Is Lake Powell worth the drive from Seattle?

ebsworj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I saw some amazing video of boats going through canyons in lake Powell on the Travel channel and I want to go! I live in Seattle though so I have to do my research and plan this trip out if I go. <br /><br />I've heard its a big lake. Am I going to be able to get to some cool canyons and scenic spots without boating for an hour. I have limited range with my 18' boat and 120hp two stroke O/B. <br /><br />When does it start to warm up down there? Gotta be sooner than Seattle!<br /><br />Anyone got any pics?

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Is Lake Powell worth the drive from Seattle?

Ebs, Lake Powell is worth traveling from anywhere to get to. It is a huge lake and from the major ramps to remote slot canyons can take from 30 min. to a few hours. There are several marinas on the lake that offer fuel however. The air temperature will be quite nice starting near the end of April to 1st of May. Swimming weather starts around June. The lake is in the High Desert so it doesn't get as hot as the rest of Arizona. My favorite time of year is actually early Sept. The water is still warm enough from the Summer, but the air has cooled off enough to sleep at night. Also consider renting a house boat and towing your 18 footer to a "base camp" you set up somewhere, and then go on little mini adventures from there.

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is some fantastic hiking to do around there, so instead of swim/watersports when it's cold, you could plan for that. The scenery is too amazing for words.

ebsworj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info and quick reply. Is Mead better or warmer?

Drowned Rat

Captain

Warmer for sure, but not really more scenic although Mead has it's high points too. Mead is in the Mojave Desert so it's hot for sure. Start looking at early April or late Sept. July and August are unbearable if you're not from around here and used to it. You won't find slot canyons at Mead either, at least not like Powell. Powell can only be described as otherworldly. If you're going to make the trek from WA, go to Powell.

JIm Cook

Seaman Apprentice

Our family has towed a 24' boat from<br />Oklahoma four times to Powell. 900 miles one way.<br />Go once and your hooked. It can be intimidating<br />the first time until you get a feel for it.<br />It is big with Marinas spaced roughly every<br />40 miles apart and requires planning for gas<br />consumption, and a mechanicaly sound boat.<br />Very little cell phone service with these new<br />GMS phones.For good information on fishing ect.,<br />try www.wayneswords.com

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I second the vote for Powell. Mead is OK, the dam is interesting, and Vegas is only 30 minutes away. Powell, however...there's nothing else like it.<br /><br />We'll be doing some trips there in Spring, if you want a boating partner send me a message and we'll see if we can coordinate.

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

YES YES YES ! however with gas being so expensive it might be just as easy to rent a boat from one of the marinas. Not knowing if you are going to Bullfrog or Hite or? it is a long haul through Oregon , Idaho , Salt Lake City ,Moab so renting seems reasonable.

ebsworj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That would be nice, I'm kinda afraid my Force outboard (crinch) is going to crap out on me if I'm running flat out for days. <br /><br />$300 a day is pretty steep to rent a boat also.

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

WELLLLLL. I guess we now sit down with pen, paper, and a sun powered brain and start computing costs. $300 a day may be cheap if you have to paddle 50 miles when your motor heads south while your'e headed north. Are you planning on a tent beach camp or a motel or ?? If you were to go to Page Az. you may be able to have more options. By the way the Southwest has 2 seasons _ _ _ Winter ,which is very short, and HOT which is very long. Spring can be windy but Fall is kinda nice.

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just surfed WAYNES WORDS.- - - - If they dont get some rain and snow in Colorado to bring the lake level up the Columbia River at Tri-Cities may be as close as you can get.

Drowned Rat

Captain

The lake is 50% full and it's still bigger than most lakes in North America. The lake actually has more to offer at this level than at 100%. The slot canyons are more boxed in right now which is good. The lake is still 250' deep at the dam. You don't need to worry about not having enough water. Word of caution. You don't want to get out on this lake and worry about mechanical issues!! Have a backup plan.

ebsworj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll get my boat tuned up before I go to avoid any mechanical issues. But I'll bring an extra messure of assurance that I'll get towed quickly if I have a problem. That assurance is called "good looking women"! I've often found this handy and try to never boat with out it.

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I too am considering Lake Powell for this summer. We usually do Possum Kingdom in Texas, but I want to go to Powell - haven't been since the mid 70's. But I have been considering the possibility of mechanical failure. I have a 69 Glastron that has not let me down on the water yet...but that would be a heck of a time to have it happen. Maybe we should have an iboats week at Powell and we can all look out for one another. :)

ElleA

Cadet

Planning our first trip up to Lake Powell in May and would like to know what to expect.....for instance, can we launch at Antelope Point and is the "S Curve" (going past Antelope Island where the canyon walls narrow) something we should be afraid of (we've only been boating since October - on Lake Pleasant and Lake Havasu) in our 18-footer? Hubby is not worrying about this, but I sure am!!

Drowned Rat

Captain

ElleA. You can launch at Antelope. If you go up stream from there, you will be fine. The dangerous part of the lake right now is toward the dam from Antelope. It's like a huge washing machine. Please avoid that area, it is very dangerous.

ElleA

Cadet

Thanks for the info. This is the website that mentioned the dangers of the "S curve" and it sounded very dangerous. <br /><br /> http://www.riverlakes.com/antelope_point_marina.htm <br /><br />I didn't know if we should just keep putting off going up to Lake P until the shortcut opens (I read it was to be opened this summer....is that still correct?). Lake P was the main reason we bought the boat.....it seemed like such a waste to live 4 hours away and not take advantage of it!<br />Linn

Drowned Rat

Captain

ElleA. I wouldn't wait! Putting in at Antelope is perfect. If you go upstream, the lake is perfectly fine. There's nothing to see between Antelope and the Wahweep marina anyway. All the cool stuff is upstream. I seriously doubt that the Castle Rock shortcut will be open anytime soon either. Let me know if you want some suggestions on slot canyons to check out.

ElleA

Cadet

Sure!!! During our first trip I don't think we'll venture too far upstream (at least no farther than Rainbow Bridge). I've booked a motel in Page from May 8-12. Hopefully the weather will be nice. I have the book "Boater's Guide to Lake Powell" which has pretty detailed maps. <br />Thanks!! <br />Linn<br />ELLEA@commspeed.net

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hi again Elle. Look up West Canyon. It's about 25 miles from Antelope and really cool at this water level. There's Navajo Canyon of course, but it's always really busy. Labyrinth canyon isn't too far. My favorite by far on that end of the lake is West though. Navigable slot canyon. Hiking opportunities. Incredible scenery. Not too many camp spots in the canyon, but there's plenty along the lake shore outside the canyon. Watch the submerged rocks near the entrance, but once you in, it's smooth, clear sailing. The water is crystal clear there so you will be able to see the rock easily, just take it slow. Good luck and have fun! :)