Marco Island

jeffmcc

Cadet
i have been looking aroond areas of florida for a year or so and recently visited marco island liked the area. i am used to the east coast boating (icw) i know sea six lives there i f he or any one els who lives or kknowes the the area could give me some pro's & con's to the area mainly the boating it would be very helpful i know a lot of areas ore manatee zones ths may be a big negative to the area ?

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Marco Island

What I like most about Marco is that it is so secluded, being about as far south on the west coast as you can be. Traffic around here is quite lite, since the people from the more crowded Naples area don't tend to come this far south. If you look on a map you'll see what I mean about being isolated. What I don't like is that there is a lot of shallow water around here and you have to watch where you're going. I searched for many years before deciding this was where I wanted to be.

jeffmcc

Cadet

hey sea thx for the quick reply can you tell me a little about the manatee zones, is everything no wake until you get out to the gulf or is the gulf usually pretty flat to boat, is there a lot of good boating places being that it is a secluded island etc how do you like living on the canal im like you ive been doing a lot of searching just got back from a week and a half trip from fl. rented a house in cape coral on a canal put 1200 miles on a rental car checked out entire west coast miami and even the keys ended up in marco for 2 days loved it the only thing that would bother me would be the boating and having to go into the gulf all the time especially if it is rough quite often

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There aren't many manatee zones, but all the canals in the residential areas are no wake zones. The Marco River and Intracoastal Waterway up to Naples are 30MPH zones, except for a short stretch from about the Snook Inn to the Gulf, and when going around Goodland. The Gulf is usually pretty flat so you can do what you want out there. Usually we take our boat down to Cape Romano or Keewaydin Island and anchor at the beach. Our dog LOVES the beach! It's only 96 miles to Key West. One of the growing problems in Florida is boat access, including slips, ramps, and trailer parking. The reason Marco Island is so popular is because 80% of the single family homes are waterfront with docks and lifts, so there is no access problem for us. Also, we do not have any locks or lifts like they have in Cape Coral, which can create some big delays trying to reach the gulf. If you are looking to buy, pay close attention to direct access vs. indirect access, depending on what size boat you want. Having your boat out back on a lift is AWESOME.<br />
boatset.jpg

jeffmcc

Cadet

thx for the great picture nothing like rubbing it in wish i was there right now what a beautiful sunset. working with a realtor now just making sure it is the right place i live on the coast now but would like warm weather longer where did you live before you moved to marco i can tell you really love it there.

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to live in the Philadelphia area. The leaves fell off the trees in late October and everything looked dead until the next April. Winters were gray cloudy skies and cold damp air. Seemed like the sun never shined for weeks at a time. Could only use the pool 3 months out of the year. Yes, I like it better here, even though we get our bad weather all in one day in the form of a hurricane!