Beef to Ski

spiller

Cadet
Hey, Im quite keen to give wakeboarding and waterskiing a shot. But need to know if my boat has enough beef to get the riders up and happy?<br /><br />My boat is an old glass over ply 16' with a 65hp evinrude. The boat isin't all that heavy, and seems to pull the ski biscuit without a hitch.<br /><br />I think my question is really, should I get a larger motor?? :D

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Beef to Ski

From a fun point of view, you won't have any problems. Wakeboarding doesn't require big HP, I've done it behind a 10ft tinny with a 10HP. Two ski's, absolutely no probs, one ski (especially deep starts) may require a bit of trial & error learning.<br /><br />Aldo

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I was about 15...I learned to ski behind an ancient boat with an equally ancient 25 HP motor.<br /><br />Well; lets say that I **tried* to learn how to ski. I was dragged along...I could never get up on the skis...<br /><br />Then; we met this guy with a 14' Alpex that had a 45 HP West Bend ( about to be Chrysler) engine on it.<br /><br />That thing just yanked me out of the water...it was such fun that my dad bought the boat!<br /><br />Have fun skiing...Chuck

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probally is possible, best bet is like Aldo said, trial and error, depends on weight in boat, weight of you, size of ski....<br /><br />Good luck and have fun<br />Belchy

Moody Blue

Captain

spiller I have a 14ft fiberglass utility boat with a 40hp. Can easily pull up my sons (140-160Lb) on two skis but is somewhat difficult on one from a deep water start. We just start out on two and drop one. Dock start on one is no problem. You won't be able to have many passengers on-board, probably just you and the observer. If you have a ski pylon you will be able to get the skier out of the water faster as well.

Jixxxer

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 70hp on my boat and we (3 of us in boat) pull a skier out of deep water. I'm sure u can do it!

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 16ft tri-hull with a 1972 65hp. We could ski and tube off of it just fine. Slolom skiing will be an issue depending on the weight of the skiier. I could only ski with 2 skis off of my boat. I weigh 215lbs though. It was a little too much for the 65hp on one ski.

watered down

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by SeaKaye12:<br /> When I was about 15...I learned to ski behind an ancient boat with an equally ancient 25 HP motor.<br /><br />Well; lets say that I **tried* to learn how to ski. I was dragged along...I could never get up on the skis...<br /><br />Then; we met this guy with a 14' Alpex that had a 45 HP West Bend ( about to be Chrysler) engine on it.<br /><br />That thing just yanked me out of the water...it was such fun that my dad bought the boat!<br /><br />Have fun skiing...Chuck
Brings back memories...we had wood boat that had a 25-hp Evenrude but it pulled a skier fine. My dad would drop one ski while underway, couldn't get him out on only one ski.

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

My friends ahve a 16' Whaler with a 70HP, and it does just fine with up to 4 other people in the boat (they help keep the bow down when starting!).<br /><br />I don't think you'll have any problems other than practicing.<br /><br />Also, try to get an upright stanchion to secure your towline from, instead of the harness that goes to the transom eyes - especially when you are trying skiing for the first time:<br /><br />You really don't care about the boat pulling you forward - what you want the boat to do is pull you UP!!! The higher the rope is on the boat, the easier UP becomes. <br /><br />Have fun!