16' Lowe - Made for fishing - Use for fun?

rambofish

Cadet
Hello all,<br />I have the chance to get the boat my grandfather had before he died a couple of years ago. It's a 1991 Lowe 16' V w/1989 40HP Evinrude O/B. He used it mainly for fishing. Although most of the fishing stuff (downriggers, etc.) was stolen by some family members (don't get me started), the boat is in really good condition. The only problem it may have is a leaky L/U (he hit a rock). I have 3 kids and although I doubt it would pull a skier, I'm fairly certain it would pull a tube or maybe a kneeboard. Also, the boat is rated for a 70HP, so if I up'd the engine would it pull a light skier? Anyone ever used one of these for "recreational" uses? Basically I'd be getting the thing for around $1000, so even if I just used it for fishing, I think I'd be getting a nice boat for a reasonable price. It probably has about 150 to 200 hours on it (he was 80+ when he got it) and has been sitting inside for the last 3 years. Also, if I just used it to tow the kids around on a tube, would it damage the transom if I attached the tow rope to the tiedown loops or should I installed a re-enforced tow loop? So my question is: should I go ahead and get the boat or sell it and buy something different?<br />Sorry so long, but seems like lots of helpful people here!<br />Thanks for your input,<br />Bill :cool:

marty_scher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 16' Lowe - Made for fishing - Use for fun?

Do you know the model, rambofish?<br /><br />Sorry about the stolen stuff, but isn't that what family members are for? :( <br /><br />I have a 2001 16.5 Angler with a 40HP Johnson, that we love. It's our second season and we think it'll pull my young sons in a tube, with no problems. I just purchase two Scotty electric downriggers for it.<br /><br />It's going to be our boat for a long time and maybe someday upgrade to a larger 4 stroke engine.<br /><br />Even with a 75, you won't pull much of a skier, but the boat should move along very nicely.<br /><br />$1000 is a good price for nearly any boat and the bucks put into the lower unit, may give a really nice boat.<br /><br />A boat that size is geared more to-wards fishing and fun, than towing someone behind, but could be done until your kids get too big. Unless one of your kid's nickname is "refrigerator", the tie-down loops should work fine.<br /><br />Good luck.

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would buy it and have a great time. A great boat for 1st time buyer and you will be able to use for several years and sell it for "at least" what you paid.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'm curious as to why you think it wouldn't pull a small/medium skier. We used to ski behind a 40hp on a glass tri-hull. Not fast but it got most of us up. <br /><br />I can pull up a skier with ease using my 16' 70hp fishing rig. About 1400# with spotter and gear.<br /><br />Is it a hull design problem?<br />Is the hull too light?<br />Can a hull be too light to pull a skier?

rambofish

Cadet

Marty,<br />He had the boat for about a year when it developed a leak, it was a model 1600, but they warranty'd the hull with a 1605. So trailer and motor are 1989, but hull is 1991. So does that make it a 1602.5? hehe :p <br /><br />AJP... that's kind of where I'm headed I guess. Although there is a lot of sentimentality to the boat as well.....I've spent quite a few hours on that boat with grandpa.....kinda hard cleaning it up...like i can hear him...."oh, you missed a spot....no, no ...do it this way..." :rolleyes: <br /><br />
Image3_small.jpg

rambofish

Cadet

roscoe,<br />you posted between my reading and posting! gotta love the internet! At any rate, I guess I doubt it would pull a skier because . .. well not sure...mostly I think of me behind a boat (185lbs / single ski)....tend to mush a little...but not saying it absolutely wouldn't, just have never really seen a "fishing boat" pull a skier....I'm really glad to hear you have had success doing just that! Seems like we only have ski boats and fish boats out here, not too many dual purpose rigs.... I've had my ski days....just looking for fun for the kids. Since we live less than 20 miles from the lake (Lahonton) I can see more fun than fish (can't eat the fish from Lahonton....too much mercury...ah, 1900's gold mining at it's finest!). So mainly was just looking at opinions on the whole deal. I'd hate to get it, use it to tow a skier and damage it in the process. Other than trolling with Grandpa, not sure what the boat is capable of. HEHE... Thanks for the info about your rig tho. :) <br /><br />Bill

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

In the last 10 years, the boats have gotten fancier and heavier. Neither makes me happy. Another trend, bigger and bigger motors. Too many people think they need 150hp on a 17' boat to waterski.<br /><br />You won't really know till you try it.<br /><br />I can't imagine how you could damage it by pulling a skier. If your kids' arms can pull hard enough on the back of the boat to damage it, then you been feeding them way too much spinach. :) <br /><br />Of course if you try it and the motor is struggling and lugging for a long time, it might not be good for it. :(

rambofish

Cadet

Roscoe,<br />HA! Now that you mention it, their arms ARE getting rather large....<br /><br />No, they're all under 13....maybe 120 max.<br /><br />I wasn't so much thinking of the kids hurting the transom (mush....mush...mush....twang!) I was thinking about a tube bouncing along, hopping a wake and digging in...the tow load goes from 150 pounds to 500! but of course, if I was thinking....my tow rope breaking point wouldn't be that high.......<br />I guess you're right.....thinking back...I think I first skied behind a 16 or 17 foot tri-hull with a 85 or 90 horse O/B..... :) <br />Thanks for input.....

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

My family learned to ski behind a 35 evinrude on a small fiberglass boat, about 30 years ago. As kids, we had a great time and it was no problem getting up on 2 skis.

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class

rambofish<br /><br />I hear ya on the sentimentality, but you have a pretty nice boat there.<br /><br />If you really want to go for it, upgrade the busted outboard and you would have a REALLY nice boat for $5K.<br /><br />If the kids can't ski behind it, they should certainly be amused (and that's what it's really about ;) ) being dragged behind it in a tube.<br /><br />Enjoy

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

rambofish- I didn't have to think too long on thins one...JUMP at the chance to buy the boat. Looking at the facts: family owned, $1,000.00, known history, $1,000.00, sentimental value, $1,000.00,.....did I mention It costs $1,000.00. Obviously the boat isn't going to perform/tow like a $30,000 Ski Nautique or MasterCraft but, like others have stated it'll be fine for whipping the kids around untill they start bare-footin'. It sounds/looks like a good practical boat. With a little TLC it should serve you and your family well.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sorry Rambo, but the more I think about this, I'm sure this isn't the boat for you. You will be very upset with the poor performance of this boat/motor. I would run from this deal, dump the rig for whatever you can get for it.<br /><br />Oh, by the way, I guess I could help you out and take it off your hands. $1000??? Where do I send the check??? :)

MoRambler

Cadet

rambo, you just about described the boat I just bought a couple of months ago, except I've got a 25h.p. electric start Johnson. I still haven't had a chance to put it in the water, due to our lousy winter. <br />However, maybe some of you others can answer something for me. I'm looking to put either a stick steering outfit or a console with steering wheel on mine. Any suggestions? I know it's fine the way it is, but I'd like to be able to run the thing from the front end.

D

DJ

rambofish,<br /><br />I had a 1989 Lowe 1730V with a 90 Johnson. It would easily pull three.<br /><br />The 40 may be a little light for a heavy person on one ski, but perfect for kids. Too much power can be intimidating to beginners. A 70 would really wake it up.<br /><br />I learned to ski behind an Evinrude 18 hp. on a 15' aluminum skiff.

rambofish

Cadet

Thanks for the laughs and thoughts on this guys. I think you've convinced me of two things:<br />1. I was brainwashed by the "you must have the biggest baddest boat on the lake to have fun" syndrome.<br />and<br />2. Several of you would willingly take this boat of my hands for me!<br />Well...I do believe I'm gonna take it (the boat....not the offers :p ). Even if the kids only got a few years of enjoyment out of it, I'm sure my wife and I will enjoy it as well.<br />Thanks again and I hope to see some of you on the water!<br />Bill

MFG197

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hopefully my 2c might help. I owned a 19' Sea Nymph fish n ski (aluminum). it had a 90hp rude. it easily pulled me on 2 skis, struggled with 1 ski but did it. we could pull a tube with 2 people on it no prob.<br />i weigh 210lbs.<br />if you go with a bigger motor go 2 stroke if you plan on using it as a tow boat. better hole shot, low end torque.

manitoba1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rambo:<br />I've got a 16ft alumacraft classic 16 with a 70hp Suzuki 4 stroke and even though this boat is a true fishing rig (very similar to your Lowe) with the livewell, I can pull double tubes with 2 adults. I can pull a slalom skier out of the water no problem over 35mph if they want. I had a 55hp Suzuki 2 stroke previously which was a pretty strong but it can't compare to the 70 4 stroke. The EFI 4 stroke has alot more torque than my old 2 stroke so you might consider going in that direction plus the fuel enconomy is great. Moving up to a 60-70hp won't use the gas you think since you won't have to work it as hard. My 70 4-stroke is cheaper to run than my friends edson aluminum with a 30hp Mariner tiller.<br />He had no floor or batteries and his package is way less than half the weight of mine. Step up the horsepower and you won't be sorry.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

For anybody out there considering a 16' aluminum boat there is a detailed test of a Fisher 165 Pro in the August '03 issue of Bass & Walleye Boats. Ran 35.8mph with Mercury 75 Classic (2-stroke carb). $14,335 for the package (incl trailer).<br /><br />Kelly Cook

Bunnerrabbit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

35.8mph thats it? my 87 with a 35hp runs 30mph

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Didn't seem very fast to me either. The Merc is rated for 4750-5250 rpm @ max power. It was actually turning 5200 twisting a 12.75x21 aluminum 3-blade. My guess is that there are faster props for this boat.<br /><br />Kelly