Was there ever a 12 footer?

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a small aluminum semi-V skiff that I restored and am trying to find out it's manufacturor. Did Alumacraft ever make a 12 footer?<br /><br />This boat is 12'4" LOA by 47" Beam, has wooden bench seats and is, I think, quite old although very sea worthy.<br /><br />Looking at some of the posted pictures, I see definite similarities in hull design and fittings between mine and an Alumacraft.<br /><br />I've never tried to post a picture, but I'll give it a try. Any help IDing this boat would be appreciated.<br /><br /> http://www.pogo123.com/pix/boat14sm.jpg <br /> http://www.pogo123.com/pix/boat15sm.jpg <br /> http://www.pogo123.com/pix/boat16sm.jpg <br /><br />I boat and fish the North Carolina New River mouth and the Itracoastal Waterway so this wee rig gets me up into the creeks very well.<br /><br />The motor (a Suzuki Dt-6 with a DT-8 carburetor) pushes it along at 16 kts (GPS measurement) fully loaded (2 guys, 6 gal tank, trolling battery, cooler and tackle boxes) WOT so I like it just fine. <br /><br />BTW .. those are some awsome lookng boats I see here :)

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: Was there ever a 12 footer?

I do believe alumacraft made 12ft's.....not sure which years though. The hull does look similar to some of the older alumacrafts (rounded much like river runner's alumacraft in the show yer alumacraft thread). also the brackets holding the seats up look similar to those used on about every alumacraft I have seen. Whether it is or not, you have a nice looking boat there pogo

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, Alumacraft made and still makes a 12 footer but your boat doesn't look like a original Alumacraft. You say you restored yours, so I wonder if you or someone else put different seats in.<br /><br />Alumacraft has boxed aluminum seats with foam flotation. It never had your type of seats. It looks like it is a Alumacraft though by the style and the rear transom corner castings.<br /><br />Looks like some nice work done!

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, guys .. I appreciate the comments.<br /><br />I, too, have always seen aluminum box seats in the Alumacrafts I've encountered, but, as you say, there are several other distinct similarities, which throws me. I can only say that it looks more like an Alumacraft than anything else I've seen.<br /><br />As for "rebuild", there were a few dents when I got the boat, but no holes and no popped rivets. I hammered those out, reset a few rivets, painted it and have had no leaks anywhere.<br /><br />The seat mounts appear to be original, so wood seats were, I think, how it was made. All the original wood had been replaced and a terrible job of it, too, I hasten to add :) <br /><br />I suppose it could have originally had bolt in aluminum box seats, but I've not looked at enough Alumacrafts to know.<br /><br />This has a 15" transom and my wee spinner is a long shank, so, since I was rebuilding the transom (1/2" marine ply in and out, stained and epoxied), I made a bracket which I filled with two layers of 3/4" marine ply and then two sheets of 1/2" poly. That way I can just unbolt it if I ever change to a short shaft and the poly protects the wood.<br /><br />Since these pictures, I've installed a triangular bow seat/fishing deck and am about to enclose that and make the top into a hinged cover.<br /><br />There is no ID plate anywhere and no stamped numbers that I can find. I guess it's no longer important, but I am still very curious about who made it. <br /><br />Regardless ... it's a great boat for what I do and I enjoy it very much.<br /><br />Thanks again for your responses and I wish you all a Happy Holiday ...

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pogo - I found this... If it's of any interest to you. But no pictures.

This is the Alumacraft aluminum fishing boats for 1964.

Model & Price

EZ $199.00
E $259.00
K6 $319.00
AZ $249.00
A $279.00
F7 $359.00
FD $429.00
Yukon $599.00
K $499.00

My boat is a 1968 FD and is ID stamped on top of the center transom brace.

Last edited:

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info, River-Runner, but I can't find anything on older Alumacrafts. I'll keep looking, however, and may find a way to input the model designations you listed.<br /><br />A few days ago I did get the chance to look at a 70 something 14 footer and, I swear, the bow and rear corner castings are identical to mine ... <br /><br />This thing has been apparently repainted several times, so it's quite possible the number stampings were sanded off or at least shallowed out to the point that, once painted, I can't find them.<br /><br />I do appreciate all the feedback and ifo you guys have gone to the trouble to give me.<br /><br />A very Happy New Year to all of you ...

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pogo - Check out the web page Vintage Alumacraft site. There's a lot of information there and pictures. Look at - (catalogs) and you might also find help in - (ID This) or their message board.<br /><br />And have a Happy New Year to you and everyone!

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

River Runner ... :) .. I can't thank you enough !!!<br /><br />That site helped me pin this down to an early Alumacraft E or EL or EZ model. The fittings, dimensions, seat mounts, oar brackets and castings match exactly with my rig. <br /><br />I still have some research ahead, but, thanks to you, I'm much closer than before.<br /><br />Ive sent descriptions and pictures to Vintage Alumacraft, so maybe they can help me refine my search a little closer.<br /><br />Thanks again ...

Pony

Rear Admiral

River Runner- I looked arund at the site too......pretty neat. Thanks for sharing.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh thank you Pogo, .Pony. (now with the dots) and everyone! With these forums I never stop learning things by moving around on them and it can be entertaining.<br /><br />Pogo - Trying to find information for you, I now have even more appreciation for my own boat. Thank you!<br /><br />I bought my '68 boat because my uncle had a 1956 14' FD (it's still in the family) and I had to have that boat and now I know more about it.<br /><br />It would also bother me if I had a nice boat like yours and with all the work in it and not know what it was. Congratulations... I believe your boat is a Alumacraft (minus the seats) but I didn't want to guess the model, because you know your boat.<br /><br />If you are still into restoring the boat, check out what can be done to your castings and rails on the web page Restorations page.<br /><br />Some day let us know what you find out about your boat. And remember to use it as much as you can, because that's what's really important.

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're welcome. River-Runer ... you were a big help to me.<br /><br />I don't think I'll be able to pin this boat down any further, however, since there are no remaining serial numbers or stampings anywhere that I can find.<br /><br />I "backed into" this boat as payment for money owed me. I had sold all three of my boats (all bigger- two power and one sail) when I retired from the Navy in 1979 and hadn't owned one since.<br /><br />I have, however, really enjoyed this wee skiff and plan to keep it even though I'll probably also get something a bit bigger. <br /><br />Living where the North Carolina New River, Intracoastal Waterway and the Atlantic (only 1/2 mile down river) come together, I do ocasionally want to get out past the surf line when the Stripers are running. I can only do that in this boat when it's very calm ... so something a little bigger would not only accomplish this, but also give a bit more deck space for more fishermen than just me. With two people, gas tank, trolling battery, tackle, cooler (for drinks and caught fish) it can get pretty skimpy on deck space.<br /><br />But .. I "ain't gett'in rid of this one" ... too handy, too capable, too easy to operate/maintain/trailer and way too much fun.<br /><br />This boat has been repainted several times .. all over the previous coats, so this summer's project is to strip it down and redo the hull .. if nothing else, I figure to eliminate about ten pounds of paint :) <br /><br />This boat didn't have a transom mount and I don't know if there was one originally. When replacing the transom liners, I did notice different rivets in the transom and rear bottom where one could have been and likely where the model/serial had been stamped if there was one.<br /><br />To satisfy my insurance company, I'm going to call it a 1980 Alumacraft Model-E and let them prove me wrong :) <br /><br />Then, too .. a hull this small could well have not had one from the factory.<br /><br />Thanks again for your help, River-Runner .. it was surely appreciated.<br /><br />Best regards and wishes for a good 2006 ...

Queequeg

Seaman Apprentice

This little hummer does share some features with our 1968EZ. I don't think any of the woodwork is original. But your pictures gave me ideas for restoring our boat, which has covered wooden seats. So thanks. Your hull should be like two single-piece eggshells with the joint running right down middle, along the keel line. Uh--I notice your boat has no flotation whatsever. I presume that is in the plans. I used mine in Santa Rosa Sound when I lived in Pensacola. When I was checked by a Marine Patrolman, I had a good time showing him all the features that made it seaworthy in rough water. He OK'd it. Are you a Walt Kelly fan or do just hop around a lot?<br /><br />----------------------<br />All I know for sure: they're either bitin' or they're not.

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Absolutley NONE of the wood work is original on mine, Richard.<br /><br />When I got this rig, the aluminum seats (with flotation) had been pulled and replaced with the worst plywood job you have ever seen. Since those pictures, I have completed decking over the bow which now looks like the rear seat and the transom and has a lid for bow storage access.<br /><br />It doesn't show, but I made flotation under the seats by epoxy encapsulating 10 X 12 X 3" cardboard boxes. They're tough and more buoyant than foam.<br /><br />I am a Walt Kelly fan, but I picked up the nick name "Pogo" in school in 1957. After a very long and intense argument with my Physics professor (and I was a Physics major) I found "Pogo's Place" on my room door. I was told that I, too, appeared to regularly "poke my thumb in the eye of propriety" ... The nick stuck. Word does get around and it even became my call sign in the Navy for twenty years. <br /><br />Oh, well ... "stuff" happens :)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I had a 12 footer, open fishing boat and the only reason I sold it was because it was too small for where I was able to fish.

Vintage Alumacraft, '50-60's time frame, impeccable quality as usual.

Mark