Starcraft Islander

UpstNYer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking for opinions on the Islander. Anyone have any experience with them or know of their reputation? Application would be primarily fishing on Lake Ontario and overnighters.<br /><br />Are there any model years or options to stay away from or look for? Anyone with a 19' that wishes he had gotten the 21' (or vice versa)? Any high upkeep items on them? Do they handle rough water well? Any comments on their engine packages?<br /><br />Saw a nice looking one the other day with lots of weeds growing around it.....hmmmm.<br />Bob

D

DJ

Re: Starcraft Islander

UpstNYer,<br /><br />The Islander is one of the finest purpose built boats out there. I have spent many an hour on lakes Michigan, Superior and Huron on a 21' Islander.<br /><br />They are very light for their size so the wind tends to blow them around a bit. They sit high in the water and the small cabin tends to act like a small sail, especially in a wind from the stern.<br /><br />With that said, they ride quite well, are dry and tough. Plenty of freeboard (great for kids or non swimmers) can handle heavy loads and get away with far less power than their fiberglass counterparts. They are also easier to tow than glass boats of similar size.<br /><br />If I had the storage room and the need, I'd have one in a heartbeat.<br /><br />The boat gives the operator and passengers a great feeling of security.<br /><br />Make sure you power it to about 75% plus it's rated capacity. Just because you have the ponies, doesn't mean you have to use them. Resale will be very good.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

ditto DJ... lookin for one myself 4 lk. ontario.<br />great set up IMO.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My islander has two distinct benefits for it's size. One is that it handles waves very well. The second is that it is a great trailer boat due to it's light weight.<br /><br />Mine does have leaking rivets, as do others I've heard of. No problem for trailer boat with a bilge pump.<br /><br />All things considered, I would highly recommend the 22' Islander.

butch290

Seaman

I like mine, 26' with a 350 omc, the drive has it's weekness but I have observed that having less power may help it.<br /><br />Rough water: It my not be the fastest but I feel safe in 6 & 7 footers.<br /><br />Watch for water soaked foam under the floor.<br /><br />Trailer and boat weight is 6200 lb<br /><br />I agree with all above.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 1974 221 Islander.....<br />I also agree with what's said above....<br />The Biggest Reason I'm going to a 25' Glass boat is the Rough Water Handling....<br />Being a reasonably flat bottom tin boat, the Islander rides pretty rough in Serious Chop,+ is a Bear to keep in a straight line going Into the Wind, at Trolling Speeds....<br />Even though mine is about 30 years old, the Newer 1s are the Same Hull as mine,except for the taller cabin windows, it's the Same Boat.....

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I spent many weekend fishing out of Pulaski NY on my buddies 1988 26'footer. The boat trailers nice we used to trailer from Westfield Mass to upstate NY thru the Berkshires with a 1/2 ton Ford pick-up. The boat is light for the size. On the lake even in rough water the boat handles like a charm, I don't remember the size of the motor but I do remember him saying that the bore and stroke as the same as a 460 Ford it was a 4 banger. It was good on gas and we would idle trolling for 12-14 hours a day in 3 years we never ever had a single problem..........

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bought my second Islander 191V, fish Lake O, Winnipesaukee, Champlain and the Connecticut lakes. Love it. With a 115 Merc it jumps on plane fairly well and is a champ in rough water

UpstNYer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like this boat has stood the test of time and is well suited to my intended use/means. Putting it in the 'definitely consider' column on the list of future purchases.<br /><br />Terrific the way this forum brings decades of experience & expertise within reach of just a few keystrokes.<br />Bob

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I am a bit of a Starcraft fanatic, ive been hunting down a 26 footer for a long long time ... the problem that has been made mention of to me is that for salt water usage the Islander can be problematic, too many places for salt to hide and do its damage. The 18 Holiday and the 16 Super Sport get salted and dont have a problem, but they are outboards. If I was a Great Lakes fisherman, you BETCHA I would have an Islander or Cheiftain, vastly deep hulls, on I/O models a following sea cant come in and wreak havoc (and really, with the splashwell guard in place, outboards arent a problem either)

I own a '73 Holiday and it handles Lake O, It's not an Islander, so no Cuddy, it's has a closed bow which limits storage, but it also doesn't blow around in the wind when trolling. It's an old boat, but easy to trailer and I love it. Even the kids think it's cool.

Fishinerie

Cadet

My wife and I just bought a leftover new 2005 191 Islander from a dealer in Vermont. We currently fish Lake Erie and Raystown as well as Kinzua in Pennsylvania. I am looking to put an Autopilot on mine for next season as well as a windlass and anchor pulley. What type of steering does this boat have. Is it hydraulic? I can't find access to the inside of the transom without taking the stern cocpit wall out. Also am going to put another battery in before spring it looks as though there is plenty of room to put another battery mount in beside the on already mounted at the stern. May also have to put trim tabs on as it seems that the stern really digs in before the boat comes up on plane. This doesn't really bother me but the wife thinks the boat rides to bow high anyway.

Brian Rivet

Recruit

I have a brand new 2005 221 Islander. I love it. It is great on fuel. Trim Tabs are a must. I put a rocket launcher/radar arch on it. This boat is used every week end on Lake Huron / Saginaw Bay. My wife loves the cuddy for the privacy to change clothes and I installed a port-a-potty for the ladys. I have had 5 large men on it fishing Walleye without any trouble. The only people I ever heard say anything bad about an Islander never own one.

BullGator

Recruit

UpstNYer said:
Looking for opinions on the Islander. Anyone have any experience with them or know of their reputation? Application would be primarily fishing on Lake Ontario and overnighters.<br /><br />Are there any model years or options to stay away from or look for? Anyone with a 19' that wishes he had gotten the 21' (or vice versa)? Any high upkeep items on them? Do they handle rough water well? Any comments on their engine packages?<br /><br />Saw a nice looking one the other day with lots of weeds growing around it.....hmmmm.<br />Bob

dotcalc

Recruit

Great boat. MANY hours on Lake Michigan over the last 35 years (my dad had a 1974 22' Islander, and I've just finished restoring a 1978 22' Islander). They are aluminum and will last forever such as an airplane, but may leak slightly (just get a bilge pump). Very strong and light. The guys are right, they can steer a bit tough in the wind, and be bounced due to light weight (no perfect world here). I trailer mine from Knoxville to Lake Michigan all the time.....best of both worlds for me. Not the only good boat out there, but Ill never get rid of mine.