sea ray vs. bayliner

max rogers

Recruit
A friend/neighbor of mine is consider buying either a new Sea Ray 175 or a Bayliner 185. the Bayliner has more features that they like (e.g. swim platform) but, he has heard that there may be quality issues with the Bayliner. A marina in the area told him that yes Bayliner in the past didn't have the structural soundness of the Sea Ray but, since Mercury took over those quality concerns had been addressed. Does anybody have any information re. this or have a strong opinion on Sea Ray vs. Bayliner?<br /><br />Thanks for you help!!!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: sea ray vs. bayliner

Welcome to iboats max.<br />I do not know anything about either one except my daughter bought a new Bayliner of some kind last year and has nothing but praise for it.<br />A regular pleasure boat of some sort.<br />Again, welcome to iboats.

nlain

Commander

Sea Ray and Bayliner are both owned by Brunswick Corporation, the construction of both is good, the dressing is different. Bayliner at one time had construction issues but that is not the case now. My personal preference is Sea Ray, but tell your friend to buy the one he likes best. Tell them to go for the 4.3l engine instead of 3.0l in the 185.

Cptkid570

Ensign

I would focus on the engine package more than focusing on the brand, however, the reputation of Sea Ray is better than the reputation of bayliner. I'm not saying that there is a difference in quality, but the difference in reputation would make for a difference in resale.

Bill Adkins

Seaman

I had a Sundancer for years and rode it hard in all kinds of water. Never leaked, never took any water on even during the El Ninio seasons. Buried the bow beneath more than one large swell and never an issue. I'd bet on the Sea Ray myself.

slack250

Cadet

I have never and will never own a Bayliner. If you look at each boat at a boat show, Bayliner looks extremely cheap, low grade, wal-mart quality. The engines will be the same, the props might be the same, but look at the quality of the vinyl, components, latches, wood, etc. Bayliner is cheap, cheap, cheap. Also, look at the resale value, SeaRay's hold up MUCH better. It's kinda like buying a Kia or a Lexus. You might get more "bang for the buck" with a Kia, but in the long run you wish you would have bought a Lexus.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

go searay, better quality and resale, look on e-bay or boat trader, you see alot more bayliners for sale and usually for less than a equal searay

gastite

Recruit

Wife and I just purchased a 1984 34' Cabin Cruiser over a 1984 32' Bayliner.
We found out on Sea trail that the Bayliner tipped back way too far for me to see over the Enclosure. The Sea Ray sits better in water and my 1984 is heavy enough that the Seattle winds don’t push it around like the Bayliner.

I say Sea Ray!! my 2cents

ruf1967

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I own an '06 Sea Ray 185 and it's a nice boat. Bayliner and Sea Ray are both probucts of the Brunswick Corp. Fit and finish will be different between both brands. It would be like comparing a Hyundai Sonata to a Honda Accord. Both vehicles will be nice but the Honda has the reputation, better fit/finish and higher resale value. Sea Rays will be nicer and of course cost more, but that means higher resale than the Bayliner. Bayliner used to have structural issues in the past but those have been resolved. It is a good entry level boat, especially if a budget needs to be adhered to.

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 2 cents: I was looking at purchasing the 175 from both sea ray and bayliner last spring. The sea ray had more hull color options and the interior was laid out to more my liking but why pay over ten thousand dollars more for sea ray than bayliner when they both had same powerplants.

My wife decided they were both too expensive and we ended up with a 2006 crew cab silverado and a 1989 1900 Monterey cuddy