New Lund

DU601

Cadet
I'm thinking about purchasing a new Lund 2025 Pro V. Wanted some opinions on this boat:<br />How good is it in rough water<br />Rivets vs welded and <br />Are they worth the price?<br />I fish the Chesapeake Bay for LM Bass and Stripers and I don't know if I should consider this boat over a fiberglass bay boat such as the Polar 2310 bay boat.<br /><br />Thanks for the info.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Lund

That Lund is a nice looking rig.<br /><br />If your question about the Chesapeake Bay and fiberglass is concerning corrosion, I have a 45 year old riveted boat that has always been around the Bay and has almost no corrosion and no leaks.

phatmanmike

Captain

i say go with the aluminum rig. almost always cheaper, lighter, easier to maintain , easier to trailer, requires less hp, and they are just plain cool!<br />i have 2 boats, a 16 foot fiberglass and a 14 foot aluminum<br />i love the aluminum one and despise the fiberglass... i think glass is great on bigger boats, but when its a smaller bay style boat like that one, aluminum is excellent choice. and if your worried about rot...i live on the gulf coast in central florida tampa bay area, about 1/2 mile from beach and have a 1969 aluminum riveted 14 footer that never misses a beat, i just simply rinse her off after going in salt an dnever look back !

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 1995 20' Lund Alaskan with a 120 on it. Rarely get to throttle up in the harbor with the boat wakes, breeze and all. Seaworthy boat but a little chop and it's a wet ride. Think the model you're looking at may have more of a windshield though. See if you can get out on a similar boat. Easy to trailer, that's a plus. But mines for sale as I'm moving to a drier boat after a fairly short ownership.<br /><br />Nice boats though, so good luck.....

youngboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I own a 2002 Lund and for me with the chop (even though at a large lake) it is still a dry ride. I think they have improved a lot from a while back

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

You should get the lund. First of all aluminum boats are better than fiberglass. Aluminum is more durable and lasts longer than fiberglass. It also never depreciates fully in value. No matter how old it is or how many dents, holes etc. you can always sell it for scrap. Aluminum is worth a lot and is only going to get more valuable. Aluminum is also lighter than fibergass so it requires less horsepower to propel which also means better gas mileage. Fiberglass requires more upkeep. It will not withstand the harsh marine enviroment as well as aluminum and has virtually worthless once you get a large hole in it. Also sunlight will ruin fiberglass real easily. As for the welded or riveted It doesnt really matter. My '74 riveted lund is still sturdy and watertight and it tool some abuse from its previous owner. the interior didn't fare so well so we ripped it out and are restoring it right now. when we stripped it we found many structural items you normally would not find in other aluminum boats. stick with the lund.