stress cracks

Heller1

Seaman Apprentice
Went to wash the boat today and noticed stress cracks in the gel coat. I got cracks coming from where ever they drilled a hole from the manufacturer. The front loop, the speedo, and clips for the speedo wire, the ladder. etc... This boat is a 2005 with 12 hours on it. I really feel this is unacceptable and should be taken care of by the glastron, but something tells me I am in for a fight. What you all think

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: stress cracks

What I think is that I would be on my way back to the dealer to show him before they get any worse.<br />Maybe have him call Glastron while you are there to see what they will do about it.

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

funny post glastron...i have a 2005 SX 170(outboard version of the 175) with a 150 merc on it and it had stress cracks on the nose of the boat on the bottom of the hull right below the separation of the top and bottom. it was a big "U" shape. There were also stress cracks on the back by the swim ladder as well. I bought this boat brand new and noticed it after using it all last season. I called the dealer and complained about the problem right before winter and the girl that worked with me was great. I brught the boat in and they looked at it and agreed that this was not normal nor right. Soooo...to make a very long story short, i waited and waited for a response from glastron and the dealer finally got one. My dealer had to tow the boat down to minnisota to glastrons factory and they replaced the whole thing free of charge. After about 6 months of waiting and iritation, my dealer called me and said they got the boat back. I asked them to send pics and to be honest the work was done well but it was absolutely filthy. I complained and the dealer told me they would take the whole boat to have it hand detailed at glastron's charge which sounded great. Anyway, after that i went to the dealer to look at the boat and noticed that glastron had used a white paint to spray something and they did not take the time to cover my BLACK engine. so my cowl cover had white overspray as well as the lower unit. I was FURIOUS and again complained telling them they better fix the problem or i want a new engine. All in all i demanded that they get a new cover from a new leftover 150 xr6 mercury in the shop and they did lol... anywayssorry for the long post but overall it was a long, iritating process. thank god it was over the winter months...i got free storage too...haha... ;)

Heller1

Seaman Apprentice

Well after speaking with the dealership, they said it will be covered under Glastron warranty. The scary part of it was when he told me to breathe easier cause we take care of this sort of thing all the time. I owned a Starcraft fiberglass runabout for 15 years and never had a crack anywhere. Used the Glastron for 1 summer(15 hours) and have atleast 6 cracks. Not real sold on VEC technology or Glastrons detail to quality craftmanship. I love the boat, and hopefully they fix it without any hiccups like you had, but this shouldnt happen in the first place on such a new and unused boat.

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

i agree with you completely. a 2005 boat should not being having these problems. I think the styling, performance and everything else is great about the boat, but i also question the quality and craftsmanship as well. Now you go me questioning this even more with what your dealer said to you. :confused: