Chaparral 216 Performance Question

Chappy216

Seaman Apprentice
Hello to all Readers,<br /><br />I just recently purchased a 2000 model Chaparral 216 with a 5.0L EFI engine. I would love to hear from some other readers about what performance i can expect from this rig. I have had it out one time before buying, but this was on an extremely cold day and it was hard to really evaluate for freezing to death. The engine ran GREAT and started well with only 180 hours of use. That day we topped out on speed at 46.6 mph on GPS at about 4900 rpms. It has a 21pitch Michigan Alum prop. <br /><br />Is there a better prop for this boat? Stan Steel, diff pitch, different brand, so on?<br /><br />Mechanic at the dealer sord of recommended a variable pitch prop. Anyone ever used these?<br /><br />I am open for all suggestions.<br /><br />She is really a Bute!<br /><br />Thanks a bunch

AvidBoater.com

Recruit
Re: Chaparral 216 Performance Question

Dear Chapparral owner, What a great boat the 216 is in my opinion the best boat in it's class. The speed and more importantly the RPM you posted is in the range of this boat. I would suggest trying a stainless prop of the same pitch, they do not flex under load like aluminum props do, thus giving a better plane time and top end speed. The trim angle has alot to do with top speed as well, find the sweet spot with practice.

Chappy216

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much for the reply Avidboater. I am thinking about doing just that. But I don't want to loose any on holeshot either. Personally I don't have any experience with st Steel props and was unsure. I will say I am still curious about this shiftable prop.<br /><br />Darren

QC

Supreme Mariner

Chappy,<br /><br />Often a stainless has poorer hole shot because it doesn't flex . . .<br /><br />I had a Torque-shift prop which you can often find on EBay (they are not made new anymore). There are a few others here that swear by them, but my boat didn't really need the extra hole shot, so I just ran a good stainless.<br /><br />If you want to learn more about props you need to spend some time over here:<br /><br /> Prop Section

wakesurfpro

Recruit

Hey guys I'm new here have an '05 204 ssi and was at Nacimiento for 5 days of great boating. This AM we are out and see a guy dead in the water and I tow him to the marina. no good deed unpunished...there is a rock unmarked that takes 2 chunks out of my prop. Well time for a new one now. What might you recommend for that model? Had a stock alum 4 blade.

Thanks!