CHAPARRAL BOATS

ras737

Recruit
I WENT TO LOOK AT A 240 SIGNATURE EXPRESS TODAY AND I NAVE TO ADMITT IT LOOKS LIKE A QUALITY BOAT. ONE THINGS FOR SURE ITS PRICED LIKE ONE. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY ARE WORTH THE EXTRA CASH. ALSO THE DEALER WAS CHARGING 4500 FOR FREIGHT AND PREP IS THAT TOTALY INSANE OR WHAT.

EGalvTex

Seaman Apprentice
Re: CHAPARRAL BOATS

Chaparral is a great boat, I just bought one myself, how far does the dealer have to ship it?<br />That price does seem way out of line...a friend got a quote last year to transport a 38' blackfin (alot of boat) by 18 wheeler for $3,900.<br />You should be able to find a dealer who will sell you that boat, or one of similar quality without that cost.

albany joe

Cadet

freight and dealer prep seem high. shop around, other dealers and other brand similar size boats to get a ballpark.<br />i looked at a similar chap 4 years ago, but boat is heavy for its length and dealer tried to sell it to me underpowered (220 hp 5.0 merc with single prop).<br />i ended up with a searay sundancer 250 which was about 500 pounds lighter, with a 260 hp 5.7 efi and a bravo III which was just adequate.

SORRY DOG

Recruit

We just bought a Chaparrel and will pick it up on Thursday and do the first test drive. It is the 24 ft Signature series. We are very happy with the quaility of the boat and the price. Bought a new 2001 and they gave us a 2 + 4 year warrenty on the motor and a free slip worth $2,800 yr. and a TV. The Chaparrel dealer was a delight to work with. I have been referring everyone there. <br />Happy boating!

Mr. Ross

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I owned two of them. They are heavy boats due to the type of construction. I found top-grade components were used almost two decades ago when I had mine. Lately there have been some complaints about the factory and dealer support on them so I would ensure I had a good dealer (which we have in my area).<br /><br />I believe JD Powers just rated the runabouts second for overall quality. Crownline took first place.<br /><br />Not sure how they are now but I did not care for the raw fiberglass finish in the bilge, but that has probably changed. It was extremely difficult to clean. That was my biggest complaint.<br /><br />Good luck with your purchase.

Mr. Ross

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I forgot one more item. Check the fit of the factory canvas prior to delivery. This may be a characteristic of all factory supplied canvas but mine did not fit well and that apparently has not changed.

jollyunlucky

Cadet

thats different...we(my family) owns one and it isnt all that heavy, and doesnt make much of a wake. hmmm...

Mr. Ross

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check the weight as compared to say, a Bayliner or Sea Ray. Both of mine were several hundred pounds heaver than the competition that utilized total hand layup. <br /><br />Of course, additional gear, fuel and passengers can easily offset that difference.

gohawks

Cadet

Mr. said:
I owned two of them. They are heavy

I have an 86 195 XLC, have you heard of this model? We have had it for 10 years now. We keep it inside when it's not on the water. It is in great shape, lost the engine coupler when we first bought it. I think the dealer wasn't allowed to sell cars anymore. After that it has been trouble free until the shift cable bellows this year. We use it a fair amount every summer for skiing, tubing and escaping reality. I do not know about other boats, but this one has been a gem for us and I think after 10 years or 20 total, it has performed very well. If I ever get another all around boat, I will definatley look at Chaparral first. I hope the modern standard doesn't hold with them that quality is going out the window. I believe with all things, if you don't take care of it it doesn't matter what you have it won't last.
In my opinion keeping the toys under cover or inside is a must. Just putting in my 2 cents.
Roy.