Are Mercury Sport Jet 90 motors really that hard to start?

aturn

Recruit
Dear Fellow Members,<br /><br />I am a new boater with a 94 Mecury Sport Jet 90 in the Bayliner Reflexx (a jet boat) that I inherited from my dad. I am, and always have been, having problems getting the boat started. Although the boat appears to be cranking, I can't get the motor to turn over or run at all. <br /><br />I have already purchased a new stater, new plugs, and new wires. My problem is with cold starts or getting the boat started in general. The boat has been sitting in my (attached) home garage for a a little less than 2 years. Even though the boat has alway had problems starting, about two years aog, when ever it finally started, the boat ran great! <br /><br />I have narrowed my problem down potentially to the following:<br /><br />1. My fuel is bad (since I never winterized it)<br />2. I am not utilizing the choke correctly<br />3. My carbs are all gunked up<br />4. My fule is not being pumped adequately to the engine.<br /><br />Although I am new to boating, I catch on fast and have really been tring to do my home work in diagnosing this problem.<br /><br />Any thoughts?<br /><br />Double post.