Looking to buy a Bayliner!

vampirefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy all! Well, I'm throwin' in my hat with my old outboard and boat :mad: . Time for a new one that the family can depend on and have fun in. <br /><br />I've been lookin' now for only about 1 week and so far, everything points to a Bayliner! What we're looking for is a used boat anywhere from 17'-19' (preferrably 19'), open bow, i/o, seat at least 7 and later used model, if at all possible. We plan to water-ski, tube and go fast! I want a nice, reliable boat and it really seems like you do get more bang for your buck with a Bayliner!<br /><br />So my questions are:<br /><br />1)Which models should I veer toward? I mean, I know there's the Runabout, Deck Boats and Maxum (looked at Bayliners site and been 'surf shopping' online). I'm 'new' to buying newer boats and of course, every brand has thier own 'stuff'. I would really like to get a hold of a Maxum!<br /><br />2)My max is about 10k. If I can find one between 10-12k, I'll try to wheel and deal. Seems that what I'm looking for is in this range... <br /><br />Any advice would be great!<br />Thanks!

ljshein

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Looking to buy a Bayliner!

ok, so it's just my opinion... I own a bayliner too! <br /><br />You may pay a little less to get into a Bayliner but over the long haul, my impression is you'll end up spending a bit more. Don't get me wrong, I think Bayliner makes a decent boat, the mechanicals are the same as the other guys but for some reason if you don't stay ahead of the maintenance with the Bayliner it seems to break down faster.<br /><br />I was at the Atlanta boat show this winter dreaming of a new boat and looked at Bayliner... The construction techniques haven't changed much compared to my 1984 Capri. Maxum was a bit better on fit and finish. It amazed me that Bayliner still uses untreated wood for the seat backs where Maxum at least uses a composite.<br /><br />So, the answer for me is buy what you can afford and your family will enjoy. I don't think there is a significant difference between models. Pay for a survey, in the long run, it will pay for itself. Stay ontop of the maintenance and the boat wil last a long time.<br /><br />Good Luck!<br />Jeff

vampirefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, ljshein. Yes, I've been going through this for 1 week and it feels like a month of stress - on what decision to make! Whatever I end up with, you can bet I'll take care of it! <br /><br />I found a very nice 2000 Capri 1850 LX 19'(with the 3.0l) that I'm interested in but don't know how many engine hrs. Then there's a 2005 Runabout 175 18' (with only 10hrs on the engine) and the 2000 is more money (about 1k more)! This is at a dealership. I mean, this is hard. It almost seems that the Capri's were made better! I see more side pockets, storage space, glove box and it appears that the seats were made better (all around more options). Maybe it's just me (same thing when I compare this older Capri with a Runabout 195 - kind of the same comparison). Am I right on this?

Teutonics

Seaman Apprentice

That pricing doesn't make sense... does the 2000 have a fiberglass liner? Bimini or convertible top included? Bow cover? Something has to be making up the price difference. <br /><br />You may want to look on NADA to get a reference for pricing.... although I don't put a whole lot of faith in NADA pricing accuracy.

vampirefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually the 2000 has a convertible top & fish finder (don't know specs)... but that's it. I looked at NADA and it's listed at about $9,320. Were Capri's made better than the new Runabouts?

jkm2730

Cadet

Teutonics,<br /><br />I'm new to these forums and I was really trying to find a way to email you specifically as I just purchased the exact boat you have listed in your signature and I have a few question. Would you please contact me @<br /><br />jkm2730@yahoo(dot)com<br /><br />thanx,<br />jeff<br /><br />
Originally posted by Teutonics:<br /> That pricing doesn't make sense... does the 2000 have a fiberglass liner? Bimini or convertible top included? Bow cover? Something has to be making up the price difference. <br /><br />You may want to look on NADA to get a reference for pricing.... although I don't put a whole lot of faith in NADA pricing accuracy.