Engine Problem

cmhsr

Cadet
I have twin Mercury 5.7lt gas engines in my Bayliner, I am told the engines have a problem with water getting in the engines, due to the exhaust design. Anyone have any information on this.<br />Thanks

magster65

Commander
Re: Engine Problem

Nice boat.<br />Engines are mounted down low to get the center of gravity as low as possible but this can sometimes create a problem. Water may rush up the exhaust tubes when you slow down or when the boat is loaded up. Maybe you could benefit from a set of exhaust riser extensions... if this is what you mean by water getting in.

cmhsr

Cadet

Originally posted by magster65:<br /> Nice boat.<br />Engines are mounted down low to get the center of gravity as low as possible but this can sometimes create a problem. Water may rush up the exhaust tubes when you slow down or when the boat is loaded up. Maybe you could benefit from a set of exhaust riser extensions... if this is what you mean by water getting in.

cmhsr

Cadet

They tried 6inch risers and still a problem, looks like a design flaw.

magster65

Commander

Maybe if it's just happening when you slow down... exhaust flaps might help?<br />Third item down here.<br /> These might work as well...<br />Your problem is not uncommon.