New SS Prop Results and Problem

scsims

Cadet
Well, I have a Bass Tracker PT185 with a 90hp Mercury 05 model. WOT with Black Max 5400-5500rpms and 44mph on gps with me only in the boat. 5200-5300rpms and 41mph fully loaded.<br /><br />I switched from a 12.75x21P Black Max to a 13.25x21P Rapture.<br /><br />Results:<br />Hole shot: Good with vent holes out and motor trimmed fully down.<br /><br />Cruising Speed and Control: Excellent, the lift was like night and day. The boat set much higher on the water and handled well.<br /><br />Top Speed: Good, I had the boat loaded with 3 people and gear. RPMs were a little lower until I trimmed the motor. With it fully trimmed before blow out I get about 5400rpms with 42 on the GPS which is 1-2mph faster than it was before with the other prop.<br /><br />Problem:<br /><br />Idle speed: Not so good. From starting the motor from a cold state everthing was fine until I put it into gear, it had alot of vibration and kind of chug a lugged intermittently until I reached 1600rpms and it smoothed out and would act normal. At the slowest rpms it knid of sounded like it wanted to slip out of gear.<br /><br />After slowing down from a being plained off it runs better all the way down to 750rpms. but intermittely gets rougher.<br /><br />It kind of acts like it wants to die it shakes alot and vibrates, then it will stop for a second or two then run rough for a while until the short period it gets better for a second. But if I run it up to 1600rpms it's good.<br /><br />Note: It did not do anything like this with the other prop.<br /><br />If I'm not mistaken I beleive I read a thread on hear recently that somone described something similar with their new prop.<br /><br />Any ideas why it's doing this and what I can do to fix it?

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: New SS Prop Results and Problem

If your Rapture has the XHS hub system, that is likely the cause.

walleyehed

Admiral

Nothing that I know of....it's common with that type hub, and I don't like it either..

scottsims

Cadet

Is this going to happen with any new prop I try with the xhs hub?

scsims

Cadet

Is there a prop would recommend that may not have this problem?

walleyehed

Admiral

Some of the replacable hubs do this...others don't. I like a fixed hub myself...they are much quiter..

bcrosehill

Cadet

Originally posted by walleyehed:<br /> Some of the replacable hubs do this...others don't. I like a fixed hub myself...they are much quiter..

bcrosehill

Cadet

As I posted a few weeks ago my 185 performs great with the Michigan Match prop. Part # 033019 This prop has the pressed in hub. It makes a little bit of noise that the aluminum didn't make but its all gone at 1000 rpm's.<br /><br />I originally ordered the same prop that you ordered. When it arrived there was so much difference in the size and shape of the blades that I just returned it. After reading your post i'm glad I did.

scsims

Cadet

Well, I'm sending the Rapture back and putting the black max back on. Too bad I loved the way it lifted the boat. But I wouldn't be able to deal with the idle speed vibration.

walleyehed

Admiral

Another thought may be to try a Mercury Flo-torq hub kit in that prop...it will likely be a bit quiter...

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Walleyehed's last suggestion here is worth a try. At $30, it could be a cheap fix.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

It is defined as "clutch rattle". Now it has a name. Merc is supposedly to have put out a service bulletin on it. I had this super HP prop I liked but it caused it. The higher the pitch, and heavier the prop, the more prevalent it is.<br /><br />I don't like it, reagardless of what people say. So Friday, my aluminum Hustler is due to arrive and we'll see. Hopefully rattle is a thing of the past....after $750 worth of SS props.<br /><br />Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Texasmark said:
It is defined as "clutch rattle". Now it has a name. Merc is supposedly to have put out a service bulletin on it. I had this super HP prop I liked but it caused it. The higher the pitch, and heavier the prop, the more prevalent it is.<br /><br />I don't like it, reagardless of what people say. So Friday, my aluminum Hustler is due to arrive and we'll see. Hopefully rattle is a thing of the past....after $750 worth of SS props.<br /><br />Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Texasmark said:

:'(Well, I got the Hustler today and I must have overlooked something. Everything is ok except it is 4 1/2 " in hub diameter and my engine will only accept a 4" hub.....oh well, Back to the drawing board.

Mark

bcrosehill

Cadet

Before you send it back you better call. I was told if it had been ran on the boat it could not be returned.