Raised My Motor, More Questions

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer
I finally got around to raising my motor. The motor was in the lowest position (top hole) and running 5,270 RPM’s at WOT. I know that you should only raise the motor one hole at a time, but it seems that everyone ends up raising more than one hole so I elected to start by raising two holes. I gained an addition 120 RPM to 5,390, but I still have a long way to go to get to a proper RPM. Hole shot felt a stronger. I did not blow out in normal maneuvers around the lake, but while doing quick u-turn’s to pick-up a downed skier the prop would blow out badly. Below is some more information about my boat: <br /><br />• 1978 Glastron SSV 188 (18 foot, fiberglass)<br />• 1978 Johnson 140hp V4<br />• Michigan Wheel Rapture 13.25 X 15<br />• RPM’S at WOT 5,390 (OMC digital tach)<br />• Maximum speed 38 mph (GPS)<br />• 1 season on motor rebuild<br />• 120 PSI on all 4 cylinders<br />• Motor runs great at idle and while cruising<br />• Smart Tabs installed<br />• 28 gallons of gas located near the rear of the boat<br /><br />Where do I go from here to get my RPM’s up? Do I need to consider another prop? I can only go up one more hole to raise my motor. I figure raising will only give another 70 RPM and cause me to really start blowing out. My biggest concern is RPM and not speed, but more speed is always good :D .

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Raised My Motor, More Questions

would you be game to install a manual plate???? or even some 2" transom shims??

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

I think I am game for just about anything, but the wife and $$ could require me to take it slowly. Eventually I will get there.<br /><br />I have seen jack plates in many catalogs and websites, including Iboats, but I don't recall seeing shims. I assume a shim would allow your motor to be set back, but not have the flexibility to go up and down. Am I correct? Likewise, I assume the shim option is cheaper than a plate. Would a jack plate or shims require me to make changes to my steering system?<br /><br />I think I can do anything, it is just a matter of budgeting and conditioning my wife for more boat things.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Why does set back impact performance? I can see how raising a motor eliminates drag, but I don't understand how performance increases with the engine set back.

walleyehed

Admiral

Setback changes the center of gravity and can reduce some drag of wetted surface as it allows the prop to be a bit better at lifting the bow.<br />Ther is a pont, however, when this can adversely affect performance.

JADED

Cadet

Kenny, I would appreciate your opinion. <br />I am about to raise my twin engines I will have to drill new holes but this will only bring the anti-ventilation plates level with the point of hull in front of the centre of each engine. My transom has a thinner section at top that I will have to go through for the top holes.<br />My Question is. Should drill new top holes or maybe use a jack plate. If I drill new holes that will be as high as I can go.<br />Please feel free to give any advice.<br /><br />Tony

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, your getting 100 RPM more then I am.
I have a similar weight & sized boat, running a 1978 Johnson 115 with a Stiletto 13.25 x 17" prop. I would have thought he would be getting a lot more RPM with the 25Hp extra & 15 pitch prop?

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Boilermaker - I have read some of your posts and I think we are in fairly similar situations.

I have one more hole to go, but I am waiting for the pressure gauge I ordered to arrive before going any higher. Don't want to fry my motor. Currently the prop does not blowout in normal turns, but a sharp u-turn to pick up a downed skier does cause blowout. Since I do a lot of water sports, and sometimes I have little kids in the water, these quick fast u-turns are important to me. Maybe I should be considering a 4 blade prop, but I am concerned my RPM's will drop.

Walleyhed - Can you tell me more about your idea of using shims. Are shims less expensive than a jackplate? Where can shims be purchased? My father still has some machine shop connections so I may be able to fabricate something.